White Smoke, lumpy and grumpy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Smoke, lumpy and grumpy

I've noticed recently that my Surf is a little more reluctant to start when the weather is colder, and also that it lumps a little at idle for the first 5 seconds or so (or until revved a bit) and a small puff of white smoke came out the back at startup.

It runs absolutely clear after this, no black smoke even when booted, and passed an MOT a few days ago with only slightly high emissions (brought down by a treatment of Forte engine cleaner and a run around the block).

It's had a new cylinder head a couple of thousand kilomoters ago (from Stevo) and a new battery also.

Any idea what causes a little white smoke and lumpy starting?

thanks
    James

glow plugs
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

mine does the same - as a slightly better fix, when you hear the click - turn ign off and repeat again, you will get the click faster and less smoke.
      Best get them changed though.

Koi - can you tell if they are worn just by looking at them or do you have to change them all?
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
        mine does the same - as a slightly better fix, when you hear the click - turn ign off and repeat again, you will get the click faster and less smoke.
        Best get them changed though.

Koi - can you tell if they are worn just by looking at them or do you have to change them all?
        How much for a new set of plugs? Where's the best place to get them from?
        EDIT : JUST CHECKED WITH MILNER OFFROAD AND THEY HAVE THEM FOR £5.50 EACH - IS THAT OK OR IS IT ADVISABLE TO GO SOMEWHERE ELSE? I'VE HEARD A FEW PEOPLE MAKE COMMENTS ABOUT MILNER'S ITEMS.

I took them out when I did the cylinder head, but I can't remember how much stuff I have to pull to bits to get at them (apart from the pre-heater power rail). Is it a quick job to change them?
        Last edited by JimSuperSix; 9 August 2005, 10:41.

Comment

I used milners ones and they were fine for me.
          May be worth checking the fuse to see if its OK if you have had them out before. Common mistake is to assemble the buzz bar washers wrong and blow the fuse.
          To take them out, undo buzz bar assembly, take out plugs and reassemble, about 20 mins or so.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

you can't tell by looking at them as they don't "wear out"... they're a heater coil inside a casing and like a lightbulb, the coil breaks down over time and eventually breaks.

you can test them with a multimeter though
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
              you can't tell by looking at them as they don't "wear out"... they're a heater coil inside a casing and like a lightbulb, the coil breaks down over time and eventually breaks.

you can test them with a multimeter though
              Well it certainly feels like it starts on only 3 cylinders, then runs all 4 after 2 or 3 seconds (or a quick boot of the throttle), so hopefully new plugs will sort her out, so just ordered 4 from Milners.

Thanks very much for your help people.

Comment

As TonyN said to me,turn on the ign. and wait for the thing to buzz at you then turn the key.I used to wait for the light to go out and had the same symptoms as you,now using TonyN's method starts and runs fine on one turn of the key.
                CURRY-ER

Comment

let us know if the new plugs do sort it cos mine does exactly the same!

matt

Comment

Originally posted by Amedias
                    let us know if the new plugs do sort it cos mine does exactly the same!

matt
                    Well, fitted the new plugs but upon starting it (started first turnover though) there is still a load of white smoke out the back. I revved it a couple of times while sat on the drive and more smoke comes out.

However I then took it for a drive up some steep hills and I can't see anything out the back at all.

So, no idea where the smoke is coming from. Perhaps they all do this from cold? Anyone know?

Comment

Maybe injectors a bit blocked, try a whole bottle of redex to 1/4 tank of juice

My 4x4
                      My choice
                      Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                        Maybe injectors a bit blocked, try a whole bottle of redex to 1/4 tank of juice
                        It's just had the MOT and the emissions were a little high, so the mechanic ran a bottle of Forte engine treatment through it, which brought the emissions down and it passed OK, and also about 10 months ago it had a full bottle of Redex, so I would think the injectors should be clean.

I did have to take off the EFI metal pipe thing and the air filter inlet pipe, and there is a light coating of oil inside the EFI pipe and the turbo outlet is a bit oily, so perhaps the turbo seals are a bit worn? It seems to pull OK though and whistles like a goodun, although I have never thrashed it.

Is it beneficial to give a diesel a good thrashing every now and then? So far I've been very gentle with it since the new cylinder head, because I don't want it to break down.

Comment

Working...
                        X