Re-occuring nightmare (oil leak)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-occuring nightmare (oil leak)

My local garage is getting sick of seeing my truck, I took it to them with an oil leak which they traced to the sump gasket, they replaced this, charged me a healthy sum and sent me on my way. the only problem being once I had reached my destination the leak was back, so I imeadiatly call the garage, they were very helpful and took it back in and had another go (at no extra cost) I got it back and the same happened, end of short journey return of the leak. I'm due to take it back in soon has anybody got any suggestions to help stop this leak and save both mine and the mech's sanity. (The mech' blames high oil pressure but my oil gauge doesn't move above the first line when the engine is driving and on tick over the needle barely registers?

There isn't any oil pressure in the sump, is there? I thought it just holds a pool of oil waiting for the oil pump to suck it up...

Comment

Hi, are you useing semi or fully synthetic oil 'cos they are thinner oils.
      Also, has the fibre washer been replaced on the sump drain bolt, 'cos that will leak.

Comment

Is the leak at the front of engine?If so then it may be the crankshaft seal leaking and with the oil running down just looks like the sump is leaking.

Neville

Comment

I am thinking the crankshaft seal as well. Oil can creep just about anywhere. I'm having mine replaced this week because it's leaking, along with the vibration dampener (it's shot) before I lose the crankshaft.
          Last edited by Surf Canada; 2 August 2005, 03:37.

Comment

sounds like leaking crank seal to me. I had a similar problem with and old car once, replaced the sump seal twice before realising what the problem was. Bummer.

Comment

Working...
            X