Oh dear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh dear?

Still trying to track down my squeeling noise. Took the air pipe from filter to turbo off to have a look at impeller. I noticed that I can move the turbo shaft quite a bit from side to side or up/down with a finger on the free end of the shaft. Is this normal or have my turbo bearings had it?

Originally posted by Lomcevac
    Still trying to track down my squeeling noise. Took the air pipe from filter to turbo off to have a look at impeller. I noticed that I can move the turbo shaft quite a bit from side to side or up/down with a finger on the free end of the shaft. Is this normal or have my turbo bearings had it?
    Anyone?

Comment

Anyone?
      There will be a little play but not a lot, trying to describe how much without feeling it is not easy on here.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Technically, hardly any, like 0.110mm with a dial gauge in the oil hole and wiggling the shaft up and down. Having said that, most I see have up to 1mm roughly of play and still work fine.

I'd see if the car will start without the turbo to intake pipe (not sure if it will) and see if it still makes the noise.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks guys. Will try it with the pipe off tonight.

Comment

Tony

It started and ran fine with induction pipes off. The squeal was still there but very different in character, seemed to be less defined but was defenitely turbo related I think as it is only there with turbo under heavy load. Of course the general turbo song is so much louder with the pipe off and the noises combine.

I'm fairly convinced that it might be the 'hot' end turbine hitting the shroud and resonating under heavy load????

Local Turbo Technics affiliate garage quoting £595+VAT for service exch!Ouch
            Don't spose anyone has a second hand one?

Will ring Turbo Technics direct on Monday as I was expecting more like £300ish

Tony, could you remove/fit one for me????

Comment

Turbo for sale here http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15470

Comment

Thanks Andy, I'll have a look.

Comment

Tony

It started and ran fine with induction pipes off. The squeal was still there but very different in character, seemed to be less defined but was defenitely turbo related I think as it is only there with turbo under heavy load. Of course the general turbo song is so much louder with the pipe off and the noises combine.

I'm fairly convinced that it might be the 'hot' end turbine hitting the shroud and resonating under heavy load????

Local Turbo Technics affiliate garage quoting £595+VAT for service exch!Ouch
                  Don't spose anyone has a second hand one?

Will ring Turbo Technics direct on Monday as I was expecting more like £300ish

Tony, could you remove/fit one for me????
                  TonyN?

Comment

TonyN?
                    Hi!

I can change it for you if you can get one, it shouldn't take to long, have to be next week though, but may have one by them, as Geoff is bringing some more bits of his engine down at the weekend.
                    Just sold my used Turbo to Danno, so if you need to find one still, Nigel (Koi) had one.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks Tony

If you do get one then that would be great. I'm sure mine will last a bit longer so no desperate rush.

I would certainly rather have your opinion/skills involved with any used turbo.
                      Otherwise could you get one recon direct?

Regards

Adrian

Comment

Working...
                      X