yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loud clacking noise, like someone hitting a hammer in on something metal in engine!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe a broken cam follower . Will run but sound very noisey .Glowplugs work regardless of weather as come on as soon as you turn on ignition . And when engine is hot .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

I am leaning towards the cam belt as a problem area.
      It is the easiest place to eliminate a problem first.....read "least expensive"
      Get the belt checked and changed first and see how it goes.
      My brothers 1st gen lost a tooth on the belt and it gave very similar symptoms to yours.Belt changed and all is o.k.
      See how you go and let us know what happens.
      Cheers and beers
      Simon.O.
      '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

kinda sounds like my 1st gen when the timing chain had finally worn / stretched too much.

Comment

Hi there this is my first time here,
          Sounds to me like youve run a big end bearing hence the low oil pressure, the piston is then hitting on the cylinder head at the top of its stroke.
          We have lots of surf imports from japan and its a common problem.

Comment

Sounds to me like youve run a big end bearing hence the low oil pressure, the piston is then hitting on the cylinder head at the top of its stroke.
            An expensive problem mate? What makes it go? Something I did?

Cheers

Alex.
            Last edited by deggers; 21 August 2005, 16:05.

Comment

*BUMP*

Looks like Im potentially looking at a replacement engine.

Can anyone point me in the right direction and give me an approx price. A GOOD replacement engine.

Not that I will be smiling when I see the price.

Also - is it true you cant get the sump off without removing the gearbox????

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by deggers

Also - is it true you cant get the sump off without removing the gearbox????

Cheers.
                Yes, but you have to drop the front diff out.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

noise

On the motorway the other day, then suddenly louder clattering from the engine. In time with the engine revs.

Sounds like diesel clatter x 50 and is really noisy.

I can only describe the sound as someone hitting a hammer against the top of the engine. Metal on metal.

Oil level is full.

Any suggestions?

I have attached a sound file. The system wouldnt let me upload as a .wav to I changed the file extension to .jpg.... JUST CHANGE IT BACK TO LISTEN.
                  take rocker cover off sounds like u got a broken tappet/shim ?
                  if at first you dont succeed..... bollock

Comment

big end noise tends to become louder after engine labours down off high rev , like a rolling clapping sound , his problem sounds deffo like under the rocker cover , possibly camshim , i would say
                    if at first you dont succeed..... bollock

Comment

How Did You Go With The Noise?

On the motorway the other day, then suddenly louder clattering from the engine. In time with the engine revs.

Sounds like diesel clatter x 50 and is really noisy.

I can only describe the sound as someone hitting a hammer against the top of the engine. Metal on metal.

Oil level is full.

Any suggestions?

I have attached a sound file. The system wouldnt let me upload as a .wav to I changed the file extension to .jpg.... JUST CHANGE IT BACK TO LISTEN.
                      Just wondering what the noise was, did you get it fixed.
                      I just replaced my Harmionic Balancer, and now i get a similar noise, however, is quietens after about a minute.? - your is a little louder -

Cheers,

Comment

same noise

Originally posted by papajay_surf
                        Just wondering what the noise was, did you get it fixed.
                        I just replaced my Harmionic Balancer, and now i get a similar noise, however, is quietens after about a minute.? - your is a little louder -

Cheers,
                        I have the exact same noise on my surf with the low oil presure
                        its been to 5 mechanics in the last six months and not one of them came up with the same answer (w***ers) so now i am in the middle of stripping it my self and having a look
                        I have found that not one of the mechanics has even bothered to strip it down to the timing belt????????
                        just cant get that ****** bottom pully loose

Comment

cam belt

Originally posted by spoofer28
                          I have the exact same noise on my surf with the low oil presure
                          its been to 5 mechanics in the last six months and not one of them came up with the same answer (w***ers) so now i am in the middle of stripping it my self and having a look
                          I have found that not one of the mechanics has even bothered to strip it down to the timing belt????????
                          just cant get that ****** bottom pully loose
                          got it stripped down its not the cam belt whip the head off tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by spoofer28
                            got it stripped down its not the cam belt whip the head off tomorrow?
                            If you're not regularly whipping heads off then you wont be with the surf one either. Theres a fair bit of head scratchin and deciding what to remove from what and what not, not to mention the memorising for the refit.
                            A 2.4 head that doesnt need removing is better left where it is coz you may just find cracks that you didnt know about between valves in which case you wont be refitting without a big cash outlay on a new head.

Where has deggers gone? Are the forums members not entitled to a 'post of enlightment' after all the experience and suggestions given? Also tell the garage that excessive turning of the camshaft occurs in the red area of the rev counter and anything a starter can provide that breaks a camshaft can only be blamed on either a miracle or the starter.

What a waste of ten minutes reading all this for the first time and then he didnt even come back. I'm off to watch Lost, maybe Deggers was on the plane .

Comment

the head

at the point of no return as it looks like the engine will need replacing so not a lot to loose by whipping the head off as i am certain the noise is somthing hitting the head
                              I know the bloke I bought it off put put one off those ballbearing kits in
                              and I was wondering if he has made a cock up somehow and it has droped onto the top of a piston????????

Comment

Originally posted by JimL

What a waste of ten minutes reading all this for the first time and then he didnt even come back. I'm off to watch Lost, maybe Deggers was on the plane .
                                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                                X