yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loud clacking noise, like someone hitting a hammer in on something metal in engine!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud clacking noise, like someone hitting a hammer in on something metal in engine!!!

On the motorway the other day, then suddenly louder clattering from the engine. In time with the engine revs.

Sounds like diesel clatter x 50 and is really noisy.

I can only describe the sound as someone hitting a hammer against the top of the engine. Metal on metal.

Oil level is full.

Any suggestions?

I have attached a sound file. The system wouldnt let me upload as a .wav to I changed the file extension to .jpg.... JUST CHANGE IT BACK TO LISTEN.
    Attached Files

STEVO has one in from up your way with the same sound. Fuel punp timing might be out if yours is EFI you may have to get it set up again
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Where in Leeds are you Deggers?
      French fishing at it's best www.mayennefishing.com

Comment

I live nr. Drighlington - up past Ringways..

Why mate?

Comment

Sounds like a tappet shim has broken and come out, alternatively it may be the piston hitting valves if you have a small end or big end very loose. My first thing to look at would be the timing belt, has it jumped a tooth or two in which case you may just be hitting valves with the piston. It doesn't sound good though and sound very much like mine did when the tappet shim cam out just before the valve broke and trashed the head and piston.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
            Sounds like a tappet shim has broken and come out, alternatively it may be the piston hitting valves if you have a small end or big end very loose. My first thing to look at would be the timing belt, has it jumped a tooth or two in which case you may just be hitting valves with the piston. It doesn't sound good though and sound very much like mine did when the tappet shim cam out just before the valve broke and trashed the head and piston.
            Deggers.
            Thats not a cheap sounding noise..... Sounds very "endy". If it's a big end thats gone bad to that degree of noise i would expect your oil pressure gaugue to be reading lower than normal.
            All the best and keep us updated.
            Keef
            A positive attitude wont solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort!

Comment

Thats not a cheap sounding noise..... Sounds very "endy". If it's a big end thats gone bad to that degree of noise i would expect your oil pressure gaugue to be reading lower than normal.
              Spot on mate... it is lower than normal, virtually nil on tickover and about a millimetre of the lower marker when driving when it used to be over halfway.

Comment

I just wondered Deggers, i live in Horsforth. If you need any help i can recommend Engine Co. if you need the details let me know.

Paul.

Comment

Need the details

Comment

Steve at Engine Co. Ltd, Stockport

0161 476 6144.

He fitted my recon engine and turbo and did a brilliant job.He comes highly recommended by the folks on this board and will not let you down.If you need it collecting he will sort it out too very reasonably.
                    I wouldn't recommend anyone in Leeds to you.

Paul.
                    Last edited by Pauleds; 22 July 2005, 17:10.

Comment

*bump*

UPDATE:

The truck has been sat around and gone into a different garage (one we use at work) to be assessed.

Their verdict.

Sounds like the cam has snapped, thats the noise.

CAUSE:

Because the garage that kept fixing the glowplug fuse last gave it to me and althought the fuse didnt blow we had alot of hot weather so the car started quite easily.

Anyway, turns out he glowplug fuse has NOT been wired up to live since I got it back and they estimate that excessive turning of the engine trying to start has snapped the cam.

The low oil pressure they are investigating, maybe oil pump?

What do you think?

They are pulling the engine apart to see asap.

P.S. I imagine I will be needing parts early next week so if anyone can recommend somewhere to go I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks.

Again, sorry for the bump!

Comment

it wouldn't run if the cam had snapped!...
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by deggers
                          *bump*

UPDATE:

The truck has been sat around and gone into a different garage (one we use at work) to be assessed.

Their verdict.

Sounds like the cam has snapped, thats the noise.

CAUSE:

Because the garage that kept fixing the glowplug fuse last gave it to me and althought the fuse didnt blow we had alot of hot weather so the car started quite easily.

Anyway, turns out he glowplug fuse has NOT been wired up to live since I got it back and they estimate that excessive turning of the engine trying to start has snapped the cam.

The low oil pressure they are investigating, maybe oil pump?

What do you think?

They are pulling the engine apart to see asap.

P.S. I imagine I will be needing parts early next week so if anyone can recommend somewhere to go I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks.

Again, sorry for the bump!

You could ask STEVO to source the parts for you ?
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                          (")_(")

Comment

it wouldn't run if the cam had snapped!...
                            It runs and drives as normal except for the loud clatter and oil pressure being virtually NIL.

Will keep you posted and see what they say.

Comment

more likely the cam belt being a problem... not snapped, but slipped
                              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                              X