engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine swap

Hi,i was wondering if anybody out there could tell me if a hi lux pick up engine would fit into my surf (2.4td,auto),ive got a rattle and lack of power aswell so ive had enough now and im changing the engine,ive been told to check the mounting brackets and electrics match up beforehand,failing that dose anyone know where to get a re-con engine?
    would matey from basingstoke be able too help me out?.
    thanks for any help

Who's matey!

The pickup motor is seriously underpowered in a pickup, with a heavy Surf it'll probably be worse. I don't how much different it is to a surf motor internally or if you could bolt your fuel pump, turbo etc to a pickup block. I don't know enough about the pickup motors to really advise apart from throwing them in the bin and fitting a Rover V8!

I'd price up a rebuilt or recon motor before getting to involved in engine swaps to be honest, or even a used motor out of a breaker if its OK.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Sorry tony,
      i was going to ring you up this week to see if you could check out the rattle and the fault code 12 on it,im all out of ideas and id prefer to get somebody who knows what there doing to look at it for me.

Comment

Hi, have you seen this?.....
        http://autorepair.about.com/library/ts/bl-dtcs-10a.htm

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
          Who's matey!

The pickup motor is seriously underpowered in a pickup, with a heavy Surf it'll probably be worse. I don't how much different it is to a surf motor internally or if you could bolt your fuel pump, turbo etc to a pickup block. I don't know enough about the pickup motors to really advise apart from throwing them in the bin and fitting a Rover V8!

I'd price up a rebuilt or recon motor before getting to involved in engine swaps to be honest, or even a used motor out of a breaker if its OK.

You could bolt a turbo on the pick up engine, just need the manifold etc to do a good job. However I was advised when I looked into doing it that it would do damage in the long run as the engine parts are not tolerated for the extra load a turbo will produce.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

I'd have jumped at a 2.8 non-turbo though if it had come up though......it didnt.

Comment

Working...
            X