X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power problems 2.4td

Hi all,

my first post!!!!!
    Been having a look for some time on the site and seems to be the only good site for the surf!

Just had my engine repaired - basically overfilled the engine oil and engine decided it wanted to run on the oil instead of diesel!!! full revs for about 2 mins or so and blew the fuel pump!!!! - was in Austria at the time and they have no idea about this model or engine. long story short - fuel pump had to come off and sent to Vienna for repair and rebuilt the engine. After parting with €1900 got the truck back.

Now I seem to have no power!! No torque or power seems to run flat in 1st and 2nd and then seems to get better as speed increases, idle is fine and engine runs smooth without the uummpf.

Have looked at some other threads about power and people suggest the fuel pump timing but would this not cause an effatic running of the engine and idle?????

Any suggestions or advice would be great.

Cheers Jason

Jason.

Get the fuel pump timing and the peak flow rate checked. What engine is it, 2L, 2LT or 2LTE. If it is an EFI 2LTE then disconnecting the battery leaving for 15 minutes and then reconnecting may help out, this resets the ECU to factory defaults.

If the Fuel pump timing is out it would not neccessarily cause erratic running, if it was only a little bit out, it would cause low power (fule timing to far retarded) or a noisy engine with all the power (fuel timing too far advanced).

In low gears with road speed low the engine needs more power to start to shift the beast, when it is going faster you have inertia on your side.

Sounds definately like it is either fuel pump or camshaft timing out - they would have needed to remove the cam belt to do the fuel pump and may have put it back one tooth retarded.

All these things are worth checking.

Cheers

Comment

is your turbo light coming on?
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        is your turbo light coming on?
        DOH!!

Didn't think if that one, maybe got one of the vacuum pipes connected wrong or not connected.

Ought to look at the obvious first I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
          DOH!!

Ought to look at the obvious first I guess.
          But your post looked more impressive.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

yes turbo light is coming on and all hoses are ok - checked last night!

Comment

Its a 2.4! Thats your problem!
              Derek :
              1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
              [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Had mechanic test drive it today and seems to think the engine is OK.

Seems more to be the auto box(oh sh**) if you give a little gas then it seems to go along happily but if you floor it the engine has the power but it doesn't seem to be transferred to the wheels. oil level is ok but is reddy brown in colour and smells burnt! next step is to change fluid and filter and see what happens. also whole coolant system needs flushing so will do that at the same time and then just hope!!!!!

by the way I am presuming the engine is the 2LTE as it has EFI written on top of engine

will keep you posted

cheers Jason

Comment

power prob

I had the same prob after having gearbox out, the Surf was stuck in gear and it had no bottom end pull, I think its an electronis shift problem. there is a plug at teh back of the rear gearbox that isnt connected.
                  Have a check!!!

Originally posted by egor1544
                  Had mechanic test drive it today and seems to think the engine is OK.

Seems more to be the auto box(oh sh**) if you give a little gas then it seems to go along happily but if you floor it the engine has the power but it doesn't seem to be transferred to the wheels. oil level is ok but is reddy brown in colour and smells burnt! next step is to change fluid and filter and see what happens. also whole coolant system needs flushing so will do that at the same time and then just hope!!!!!

by the way I am presuming the engine is the 2LTE as it has EFI written on top of engine

will keep you posted

cheers Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Vin
                    I had the same prob after having gearbox out, the Surf was stuck in gear and it had no bottom end pull, I think its an electronis shift problem. there is a plug at teh back of the rear gearbox that isnt connected.
                    Have a check!!!
                    G'day mate just read your thread about your auto box problems had pretty much the same thing but had no drive--turned out it was the pump behind the torque converter, although yours sounds like it might be an internal seal is about to go or the pump isn't pumping the atf round the box at the right amount of flow. If u still have problems with finding the cause try a very helpful man by the name of Terry Meade he knows everything there is to know about the warner box he's based in thanet but will gladly give u help and advive u can contact him on 01843 29911
                    keep it up

Comment

Working...
                    X