yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric Front Fan -- Is it connected to ECU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Front Fan -- Is it connected to ECU?

I have a 1992 ssr-x, LN130 frame, 2lt-e ediesel engine. I want to make some changes to have my electric fan cut in even if the vehicle is switched off. I notice the temperature could rise quite high when I switch off after a hard run. If I run the electric fan which I can trigger from within the vehicle, the temp. drops immediately.

I want to know if the electrics of the fan is in any way connected to the ECU?

If not then it would be fairly simple for me to wire the relay to trigger even if the ignition is off. An EWD of this circuit or any info. appreciated.

Robin

Hi mate, im looking at doing exactly that soon, if you unplug the big wire from the stat then I can get my fan to come on with the ignition but not when the engine is started.
    Not sure if temp affects it still with any wires off or wired through the ignition etc etc/... let me know if you find out more as I'd be interested to know what to do
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

But unless the fluids are flowing across the rad, whilst the ignition is off, you will only cool the fuids at that point...
      Perhaps you either want to consider a remote start solenoid and gubbins like Clifford make, or a timed relay and an (additional) electric water and oil pump.. along with a thermostatically controlled fan switch.

Thought about it myself, went with a remote start - turbo timer...

Comment

I did not mentioned it earlier but I do have a sub-radiator and a small pump fitted to the back of my vehicle.

I have used the hot water line to the heater to feed the sub and the cool coolant returns where normally the heater return would go.

The sub radiated is also fitted with a fan.

I'm getting very good cooling with this configuration.

I noticed when I switch the vehicle on after a hard run, the temp will rise but no fans will cut in. With my configuration, I have and auxilarry switch in the vehicle after switch off about 5 minutes and the temp. rises, I flick the switch. You would be amazed how this little electric pump, fan together with the stock electric fan pulls theh temp down. I like this.

All I want to do know is switch the vehicle off and go about my business. If and when the temp rises then I want the fans & pump to cut in automatically.

I noticed new cars like renault have this feature.

I just wanted to ensure the fan's electric circuit is not sending a signal to the ECU. If it is not, then I will disconnect it from the ignition and power it up sepetately using the fan trigger switch mounted on the TStat housing to trigger the relay.

Robin

Comment

Robin,

so s tidy little combination of a timed relay and a thermostat switch should do the trick. You could also add one of those small solar panels to keep the batteries topped up...

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
            But unless the fluids are flowing across the rad, whilst the ignition is off, you will only cool the fuids at that point...
            Perhaps you either want to consider a remote start solenoid and gubbins like Clifford make, or a timed relay and an (additional) electric water and oil pump.. along with a thermostatically controlled fan switch.

Thought about it myself, went with a remote start - turbo timer...
            Its still a good idea, you're blowing air over the rad, so cooling the water in it and help lower system pressure and the engine itself to help offset the temp rise you get after switching the engine off.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
            X