No announcement yet.

turbo and spare wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto lockers click while you going round corners, you'd know if you had one.

All Toyota fitted LSD's have a little sticker on the axle, saying "LSD, use LSD oil only". If you jack the back of the truck up, and spin on wheel, if the other goes in the same direction, you have a working LSD, if it goes in the opposite direction, is a normal open diff, or a worn out LSD and running different size tyres, while not great, won't hurt the car.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

ahhhhh!
      i posted a thread saying the wheels went click,click,click,click when i turned a tight circle. The reply was it was end stops...but could this be auto lock?
      Well i do have lsd! it says so on the back axel.
      What is auto lock and lsd?
      Is i t bad i have them on a car?
      If i drive or do something,can this damage the car in anyway?
      What does this mean for the smaller spare?

Comment

You won't have both, If the previous owner fitted a locker, it'll replace the LSD, they both are types of diff. It won't have a locker fitted from the factory.

In your other posts you mentioned you can lock the rear diff, in that case you have a manual locker, in which case you shouldn't hear any noises from the rear, only auto lockers click. Manual ones are better cos you can turn them off on the road, and only need to switch them on if stuck. A switched off manual locker is the same as a open diff, so you can run the spare as long as you don't switch it on, which you should do on the road anyway.

Where were the clicks coming from? front or back?

Comment

Tony
          just jacked up the back and span the rear wheels. they both go in the same direction.
          can you look at the pic i posted on this thread of my hub.Is this a way of locking the rear diff? If so it is very rusty and tight. Which way is locked and which is not if it is a manual locking diff.
          The clunking seemed to come from the front...but its not too clear. Its only on near to full lock at slow speeds - ie turning tight circle.
          Is the lsd a lmited slpi diff?
          if so what does this mean to my driving on or off road, and with the spare wheel
          cheers!

Comment

The pic you posted is just the outside of the rear drum.

Lets start again, you will have one of 4 types of diff.

1/ open (standard factory diff) - when jacked up, wheels spin in opposite directions

2/ LSD (Limited slip diff, factory option) - wheels spin in same direction

3/ Auto locker (aways aftermarket, never from factory) - as above, but will click from the rear (or whatever axle its fitted in) as you go round corners, any corners, not just tight ones. The clicking is the diff locking and unlocking automatically

4/ Manual locker (electric from Toyota, not fitted to Surfs, only some pickups. Air powered from ARB) - as above, no clicking when disengaged, lots of tyre scrub on corners when engaged. You should have a switch on the dash to switch it on and off.

All will look the same from the outside, apart from, factory fitted LSD's should have the sticker on the diff pumpkin, and the manual lockers will have pipes/wires going to the diff.

You can't use the spare on a axle with a LSD, auto locker or switched on manual locker.

On road, nothing matters, your in 2wd, don't switch a manual locker on, it'll eat tyres.

Off road and in 4wd, LSD's and auto lockers look after themselves, if you have a manual you can switch it on when the truck lifts a wheel in the air or stuck in mud for extra traction, mostly you don't need it on.

Bear in mind, all the above options can be in the front or rear, or better still both.

Personally, not knowing the truck, the most likely option is you have worn front CV's making the noise or steering stops need greasing, and a LSD in the back meaning if you get a rear puncture, put the spare on the front, and a front tyre on the back to replace the flat one.

Now my fingers ache, Mark's Surf is still on axle stands and I'm going to lunch!!!!

Thank you, and good night!

Comment

Understood
              MANY THANKS!

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy_james
                Tony
                can you look at the pic i posted on this thread of my hub.Is this a way of locking the rear diff? If so it is very rusty and tight. Which way is locked and which is not if it is a manual locking diff.
                cheers!
                You were thinking of manual locking hubs. Some vehicles have these but they are fitted to the front only.

Comment

being an mot tester i know tony is right about front bumper irons/brackets..they can only fail if the bumper had been knocked off (ie damaged) or so rusty they fell off (corrosion) if you take em off your self thats perfectly fine ( what a mad mad world we live in!!) the spare tyres cannot fail an mot for any reason other than being insecure in or on the carrier... they might ADVISE you on its tread or size but cant actually fail it... some people say take it off but if doing that leaves the spare carrier insecure it would fail so just leave it there and make sure its secure to the vehicle!! good luck
                  DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

Comment

Originally posted by WARRIOR72
                    being an mot tester i know tony is right about front bumper irons/brackets..they can only fail if the bumper had been knocked off (ie damaged) or so rusty they fell off (corrosion) if you take em off your self thats perfectly fine ( what a mad mad world we live in!!) the spare tyres cannot fail an mot for any reason other than being insecure in or on the carrier... they might ADVISE you on its tread or size but cant actually fail it... some people say take it off but if doing that leaves the spare carrier insecure it would fail so just leave it there and make sure its secure to the vehicle!! good luck
                    Might not fail an MOT for the bumper irons but will definately fail a police spot check for dangerous protrusions - I know I have been done for that.

I have also been failed on the MOT for a bald spare tyre - I also used to be an MOT tester - should have known better I suppose.

Comment

So can you or can't you have a bald spare tyre...two MOT testers seem to disagree......!

Comment

its true the police would pull you for dangerous edges/ unroadworthy vehicle because of the bumper irons/ brackets...but there is no criteria for failing the spare tyre except for being insecure in the carrier... i dont know where you got your failed lucky but no way should they or can they fail on a bald spare...its not even a legal requirement yet in this country to have one... but i bet it soon will be!!

Comment

I was told that the spare wheel is not a legal requirement to have, however if it is on the car, it is a legal requirement to have it legal as it may be used (police could pull you for a bald spare tyre if it is on the car as far as I understand). That is why if you are at all unsure, remove it from the car, you can't be failed for not having one.

Cheers

Comment

lucky we could open a completely new kettle of fish with the differences between mot regs and police law as you well know its a crazy world we live in!! as my mot instructor tells me the mot is only a very basic safety check on the day the vehicle was tested.... tell that to mr jones whos engine blows up 2 mins after getting a nice yearly ticket on his nova eh?!!!!

Comment

Cat among pigions etc.
                              You can be done for haveing a "bald" spare tyre,3 point and £60
                              fine the way its looked at is if you have a flat tyre you will
                              use that tyre.
                              So if it is illeage then remove it rather than the hassle.
                              As the gent said it's a funny old world between the law and the
                              MOT.
                              Chris
                              GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

Working...
                              X