Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "O/D off" Light flashing?????

Hi Peeps

Had my 1991 2.4 SSR auto for about a month now and yesterday on the way to work the "O/D Off" light started to flash for no good reason (their seemed to be no problem with the transmission when it happened).

Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?? (it has done it a couple of times since)

Low fluid? a small electrical glitch??

If it is fluid, I'm gonna have to put my hand up as a half wit, what fluid will I need and where do I check the level, fill up?? I looked under the hood and couldn't see anything.

Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Ben

hi.it could well be a loose terminal within the switch.or it could be that the overdrive is off and that the bulb is loose in the dash.some off the other guys on the forum might be able to give you a bit more insight in to the prob.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

The flashing light can indicate a problem with the autobox. It has its own ECU to covern its operation and and faults will be signalled by the light flashing.

Before panicing too you much your correct in assuming the first thing to check is the oil level, too little or too much oil will cause problems.

Checking the oil level has been covered many times before on the forum, but once again....

locate the relevant dipstick, it will show two sets of marking levels on either side, one marked hot and one marked cold. Cold means obviously enough cold, hot means hot gearbox not a hot engine, ie after a good drive during which the gearbox has been activly working and changing gears such as stop go, city riving, towing etc. Motorway speeds will get the engine hot but leave the gearbox relativly cool.

To check the level the engine must be running, with the handbrake on and your foot firmly on the brake move the gear selector thru all positions, several times, letting it rest in each position for a second or three. Place in in park, and with the engine still running check the dipstick. Ensure the level is between the marks (hot or cold as relevent).

If thats ok, a change of gearbox oil can often cure minor problems. Its also been covered here before, so try the search button above if you need to do this.
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Hi Maurice

Sorted!!
        Checked the oil level and it is a little low (which I guess would make sense as it did not flash constantly only every so often), Hopefully topping it up later will stop the flashing altogether.

Thank you for your answer (and for telling me about the search facitility, I should look a bit closer next time!)

Take care
        Ben

Comment

.....oh and I forgot to mention, have a funnel ready coz you have to top it up thru the dipstick tube.
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Working...
          X