Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reserve tank ie red light up

does anyone know what mileage a 2.4 surf will do once the gauge lights up
    on the fuel low?? and is it ok to free wheel in a surf...

trudging the road to happy destiny Shiny

not a lot... normally the "reserve" tank is full of crud so your surf will start running bad i know my 3.0 wont let me use it at all without cutting out (instant red light comes on the eng wants to go off lol)

Comment

I'm tight, I always use all the fuel, the red light is good for 15-20 miles at least if your steady (in a 3.0) and that way it stops crud getting built up in the bottem!!
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

ive had 25 miles ish off mine... just be carefull
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

you could always carry a spare can of juice with you to see how much you get out of it... personally i wouldnt reccomend it unless you like the sweet smell of diesel on your clothes after you run out and have to bleed it at midnight in the middle of nowhere or have to change the fuel filter cos its full of crap/water!!!
          DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

Comment

Originally posted by WARRIOR72
            you could always carry a spare can of juice with you to see how much you get out of it... personally i wouldnt reccomend it unless you like the sweet smell of diesel on your clothes after you run out and have to bleed it at midnight in the middle of nowhere or have to change the fuel filter cos its full of crap/water!!!
            Getting going again after running out should be no great hassle, no need to get covered in Diesel, I know coz I've been there a few times

Its a self beelding system (at least on the 3.0), just pump hell out of the priming button till it gets hard (oo err), then pump a little more, then a few spins of the starter and away ya go...

Of course if you have crud or water in your tank to suck up it could be nastier, but at least water you can drain any water from the filter using the thumbwheel at its base.
            Maurice
            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by shiny
              does anyone know what mileage a 2.4 surf will do once the gauge lights up
              on the fuel low?? and is it ok to free wheel in a surf...

trudging the road to happy destiny Shiny

I have always wondered just how far is left when the light comes on, I have risked about 20 miles so far (due to the only bl**dy garage on the road I was on being shut, its always been open before when I didn't need it! Sods law!). I have also noticed that the gauge reads fuller if the surf is pointing downhill, the sender must be positioned at the front of the tank. Does anyone know:

a) If the tank can be drained to flush the crud.

b) How you get it started again if on the off chance you do run out. I know you can't just slap some more in the tank and wind it through like petrol engines.

Comment

Originally posted by hotjames
                b) How you get it started again if on the off chance you do run out. I know you can't just slap some more in the tank and wind it through like petrol engines.
                Erm, the one time I did run out that's exactly what I did.
                Paul </Slugsie>
                Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
                  Erm, the one time I did run out that's exactly what I did.

Probably stand corrected, I always thought that after running dry, diesel engines required an ancient and mystical ceremony involving dancing butt naked around the vehicle whilst spraying oneself with WD40 and chanting to the engine gods. I did try explaining that to the officer but he didn't seem to believe me.

Comment

There is a drain plug on the bottom of the tank... its where the 60L Aux Long ranger tanks feeds into... more on that next week. so I presume you could drain the water/crud out of the bottom of the tank, prior to refilling with extra clean go juice. I believe you can access this through a hole cut in the bash plate for the tank... at least on the LN130... will be able to confirm that at the weekend when we (meaning TonyN) will fit it at the weekend with copious photo's... if the thing ever turns up...

TonyN, still no news on whether its arrived or not yet...

Hotjames, its not dancing, its pumping furiously, clothes or no clothes optional...

Comment

mines got a 14mm drain bolt on the tank thats the first thing i did to flush it out cos mine had been standing a long time... you can sometimes just crank it and crank it till the fuel comes out but this is not very healthy for batterie(s) and starter motor.... what i have done in the past when run out is take off fuel filter and drain water.. fill with new diesel and carefully refit...sometimes is easier than standing there pumping the primer on top of the filter housing for hours!!!?
                      DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                        There is a drain plug on the bottom of the tank... its where the 60L Aux Long ranger tanks feeds into... more on that next week. so I presume you could drain the water/crud out of the bottom of the tank, prior to refilling with extra clean go juice. I believe you can access this through a hole cut in the bash plate for the tank... at least on the LN130... will be able to confirm that at the weekend when we (meaning TonyN) will fit it at the weekend with copious photo's... if the thing ever turns up...

TonyN, still no news on whether its arrived or not yet...

Hotjames, its not dancing, its pumping furiously, clothes or no clothes optional...
                        cool I have done about 30 miles(hey it gets bigger by the mile)

BUT can you free wheel ok in a surf or will it do any damage
                        you see there are lots of them there hills where i live..

Let the sunshine in (shiny)

Comment

cool I have done about 30 miles(hey it gets bigger by the mile)

Let the sunshine in (shiny)
                          Spent half my time on holiday in Cornwall free wheeling to save fuel (for the ice cream budget)...but I belive that you must wear your brakes out quicker as you are not using the engine too slow you down...I think

Comment

(shiny)
                            Free wheeling with the auto box should not produce any problems as long as the engine is still running so that the gearbox has hydraulic pressure from the input shaft as I don't think it has a secondary pump on the output end. I've done it a few times (although never travelling more than about 40mph and never had any problems as it simply selects the correct gear once you re-engage D). Would appreciate a definitive answer on this though.

As far as improved fuel consumption when freewheeling - i'm not so sure. When your foot is off the throttle and the engine speed is above idling, the fuel is shut off completely. When idling it is of course using fuel (quite a surprising amount too). So - and I think you can see where this is leading .. when you are freewheeling, you are probably using more fuel than when in gear with your foot off - which should be offset against the increased drag which will slow you down more quickly.

Kev

Comment

Working...
                            X