Head Gaskets and pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Gaskets and pain

I have now owned my Surf for 5 weeks (as of 13/11/03) and I've seen more articles about blown cylinder head gaskets and cylinder head replacements than I care to think about. It seems to be some kind of design flaw.

My Surf was fitted with a new head a month before I bought it ( I wish the guy had told me about this earlier - I had a bad 'do' with a Daihatsu Fourtrack 2 years ago concerning 3 cylinder head gaskets, a new engine and £2000 of repairs!!)

Question is - I want to use this machine for camping in the wilds of Scotland and Europe, and I can't risk having a blown gasket. - Should I get rid of this vehicle?

Cheers for all replies.

Rob

Originally posted by robnw67
    I have now owned my Surf for 5 weeks (as of 13/11/03) and I've seen more articles about blown cylinder head gaskets and cylinder head replacements than I care to think about. It seems to be some kind of design flaw.

My Surf was fitted with a new head a month before I bought it ( I wish the guy had told me about this earlier - I had a bad 'do' with a Daihatsu Fourtrack 2 years ago concerning 3 cylinder head gaskets, a new engine and £2000 of repairs!!)

Question is - I want to use this machine for camping in the wilds of Scotland and Europe, and I can't risk having a blown gasket. - Should I get rid of this vehicle?

Cheers for all replies.

Rob
    If that head really was new, then you should have no problems as all the new heads are modified to cure the problems. Also if you can find out make sure that new stretch bolts were fitted (the head bolts can't be re-used.

Don't get rid of one with a new head - it should be totally bomb proof (and definately Midge proof for the wilds of Scotland) now.

Cheers

Comment

yep providing it was definately a NEW head that was fitted and not a stitched recon one, all new gaskets and bolts you shouldn't have a problem. All the new heads were redesigned as the old ones had a design fault. I don't think you'll find you will have head gasket trouble as its the heads that go not the gaskets.
      So assuming it was all done with new parts head, bolts etc enjoy your vehicle, if you bought it from a dealer make sure he confirms in writing it was a new head etc cause if he didnt use new it will go again same applies if it was private they should have the receipts from where the head came from etc.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Heads

Hi thanks for the relpies. According to the receipts I have it seems that on one occasion the original cylinder head was replaced. On a second occasion a new cylinder head was purchased (at a cost of £720) and installed at a total cost of £1900. Hopefully, this has cured the problem because I would hate to repeat that expense!!

All I need now is to find a garage to work on/service my Surf. I am pretty hopeless at anything too mechanical and I don't want to screw it up!! Is there anywhere in the NorthWest?

Comment

Working...
        X