Way past time for an oil change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way past time for an oil change

Need some advice a friend of mine just picked himself up a great 1991 2.4LT surf with only 107Km on the clock that has been sitting in a garage for 5 years husband died and wife cant drive standard she finally sold it for $2,500 Anyhow i am helping my friend check it out besides a dead battery it started right up and drove fine) I picked up a full set of filters (Air, Oil Nad Fuel) and plan on servicing it tomorrow hope to drain all the old fuel out of the tank and treat new fuel when added OK now after all that here is my question Wife has no idea how many miles were on it from last oil change but does know it sat for 5 years Is there anything special i should do when changing the oil?? someone told me to put in a Qt of fuel into the engine and idel the engine for 5 mins suposadly to disolve ant sludge formed in the oil is this a good idea or even safe? or should i just drain the old oil and change filter as normal? Any sugestions?

get the timing belt changed aswell

Comment

If it has been sitting that long I would not drive it until the timing belt has been replaced.Being that old and sitting the belt will surely be stuffed.I'd say you need to change all fluids as well including brake fluid.

Neville

Comment

stick in a can of flushing oil, drive a couple of miles to give it a warm up and swish around... then drain the oil.
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Thanks for the input The timing belt, Turbo and injectors are being checked Tomorrow as they are beyond my knowladge but was doing what i was able to save a few $$

Comment

Originally posted by Bahamaboy
            Thanks for the input The timing belt, Turbo and injectors are being checked Tomorrow as they are beyond my knowladge but was doing what i was able to save a few $$
            Sorry to add to the list but I would also check the tyres by Jacking it up and letting all the air out, if they go oval I would replace them.
            I had this problem with a caravan that had been standing for about 4 years and one of the tyres disintegrated after a short journey, better safe than sorry!
            Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Thanks PaulH but the tyres are being replaced as the surf now has street tyres on it now and my friend wants some AT rubber

Comment

If you haven't turned it over much yet, it might be wise after you change the oil to turn it over for a minute or so without starting it, so as to make sure that oil has reached all the important places before you subject it to the rigors of combustion, otherwise you could accelerate any wear in the engine internals and especially the turbo bearings it if starts to run whilst still "dry".
                Mike G

Comment

Working...
                X