X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4WD noisy and not disengaging

Hi all
    Advice needed on selectable 4WD
    Can engage 4WD from the button on selector stick, although it is making a rumbling from front end, pulls to left (but drives OK in 2WD) and feels decidedly more slugish than in 2WD. Problem is it won't disengage until vehicle stops or turns sharp corner. I'm also concerned at the rumbling and pulling with 4WD engaged...could it be a wheel bearing, wheel hub or CV joint??

Anyone had similar?

Ta
    Scuddy
    ------------------------------------
    Look out! Ee

Scuddy. I hope you are not trying to use 4WD on tarmac? On the 1st and 2nd Gen it is only for use on the loose/slippery stuff. What you are describing is wind-up. Check out the FAQs section for the do's and don'ts of using 4WD before you damage your pride and joy.

Just seen your post count so I guess you already know.

Is this happening on the soft stuff? I find that my 4WD won't disengage, if the ground is not really soft enough, unless I blip the throttle. Occasionally I have had to reverse a little then pull forward.
    Last edited by kitesurf_phil; 6 June 2005, 01:23.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Phil

Thanks for that. Believe it to be wind-up, I may have caused the problem in the winter by driving with 4WD engaged on tarmac with snow and slush aplenty in Scotland and neglecting to disengage when on the dryer sections. To be honest I had it in my head the 4WD was no good on the concrete roads and OK on tarmac...dunno where that crazy idea came from?

I'll try on some soft stuff to see it it disengages automatically. At least it drives OK in 2WD. Hope I haven't damaged the front drive train . Is there any way to check, or do any preventative maintenance that can help - greasing up at certain points on the front driveshafts, hubs, diff???

'scuse the ignorance as I'm more up on the engine side than drive train

Cheers
      Scuddy
      Look out! Ee

Comment

If you haven't got any strange vibrations or judders now you may have escaped any damage. I'm not sure about the front. The CV joints are sealed. I would just check for play in the diffs by rolling underneath and giving giving them a twist while the box is in park.
        I occasionally put mine into 4WD on a straight stretch of tarmac, just to check it is still working, but for no more than about 20yds.
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

I'll try that thanks

Just had a thought why I may have got a more pronounced noise recently in 4WD. Front tyres were worn a few weeks back so had them replaced. Only garage fitted Dueler H/T instead of Dueler A/T as on the rear. I didn't have the time to complain and they were a fair bit cheaper than the A/Ts, so let it fly. I reckon there will be a small diameter difference in the tyre contact surfaces between A/T and H/T, even though they are same wall size. This is probably enough to cause stress as both axles try to drive at same rate?

feasible or bull?
          Look out! Ee

Comment

Working...
          X