X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stud

Morning all,

Quick question, I hope.

There are 4 threaded studs on the top of the exhaust manifold that bolt the turbo on. Are these part of the casting or seperate studs that are screwed in to it? I suspect the latter but would like some confirmation before I start to have a go at them!

Thanks guys and girls for any info.

They are separate studs, I know cos mine broke and had to replace the manifold cos I couldn' manage to drill them out and get a decent thread back in again.

You can get them from Toyota or your local friendly exhaust place, standard size exhaust manifold studs.

Cheers

Comment

when i replaced my turbo the studs broke,so i removed them and fitted them with stainless steel studs and nuts,that way they wont corrode,a little more expensive but worth it in the end.
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Thanks guys,

One of mine has broken, but it sheared off level with the top of the base flange on the turbo so I hope I have enough to grip and get it out. I thought I might try the old 2 nut trick first though.

By the way, vatchman, where did you get the stainless steel ones from? I might look at gradually replacing many of mine as I tinker.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfstone
          Thanks guys,

One of mine has broken, but it sheared off level with the top of the base flange on the turbo so I hope I have enough to grip and get it out. I thought I might try the old 2 nut trick first though.

By the way, vatchman, where did you get the stainless steel ones from? I might look at gradually replacing many of mine as I tinker.
          hi sorry about the delay in replying.im lucky enough to work for caterpillar building marine diesel engines so i came across some in the stores. but i would of though some one like thunder bolts,serco ryan or another engineering supply company would be able to get hold of them for you.
          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Watch out changing those studs! They will more than likely be high tensile steel, stainless steel contrary to what a lot of people think has less strength than carbon steel, also stainless steel "work hardens" so anywhere its fitted that is subject to heat and/or vibration can make it crack.
            [SIZE=4][FONT=Century Gothic]I can fix it...it won't be cheap.........or pretty![/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

It's better to stick with the high tensile studs and use an Anti-Sieze compound on the new ones.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by jet1749
                Watch out changing those studs! They will more than likely be high tensile steel, stainless steel contrary to what a lot of people think has less strength than carbon steel, also stainless steel "work hardens" so anywhere its fitted that is subject to heat and/or vibration can make it crack.
                ..never thought of that,maybe it wasnt such a good idea.i will keep an eye on em.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
                X