Lots of smoke... pushed my luck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of smoke... pushed my luck?

Hi all, hope you're having a nice bank holiday?

I think i may have been a silly boy. About a month ago the surf overheated, got a bit of advice from a guy at work, replaced the thermostat and everything was fine again. On Thursday i decided to go up to Liverpool (for the biggest party i've ever seen, what a night!) Just as i pulled up in the 'Pool the temp needle started to rise, i turned it off (it was boiling), let it cool and in the morning topped up the coolant before heading back to work in Hertfordshire. I was a bit anxious all the way back but everything seemed okay. Then a couple of miles from work the needle started to go up again, i pushed on and then when i pulled in to work the needle went off the scale, i thought the Surf was going to take off. Lots of steam, and when i opened the bonnet there was steam pouring out of a hole in the top of the radiator. There seemed to be a buzzing coming from the engine, though this could have been the steam coming out of the hole in the radiator. I got a bit more advice and the guy said that it looked like i needed a new rad cap as the seals gone, and that he thought i could get the radiator patched as it's a tiny hole. I topped up the coolant and headed home (big mistake?), after about a mile i was surrounded by white smoke, a cloud of it behind me, steam from the engine, and smoke from the engine too. The check engine light was well and truly lit by now. It made the rest of the journey on the back of a lorry...

I would really apprecieate any advice (constructive critisicm welcomed, but you won't stop me supporting Liverpool!) or suggestions for what might be wrong with my Mule. The whispers of "why don't you sell it?" are starting, but i love this car, it is my pride and joy and i really hope i can fix this. A big thankyou in advance for your help and for all the helpful advice i've received in the past,

It is a '92 K, 2.4 and has done about 110,000km. I'm not a very mechanically minded person, so an idiots guide would be good, and perhaps appropriate?!

Many thanks,

Nick.

Originally posted by SurfnTurf
    Hi all, hope you're having a nice bank holiday?

I think i may have been a silly boy. About a month ago the surf overheated, got a bit of advice from a guy at work, replaced the thermostat and everything was fine again. On Thursday i decided to go up to Liverpool (for the biggest party i've ever seen, what a night!) Just as i pulled up in the 'Pool the temp needle started to rise, i turned it off (it was boiling), let it cool and in the morning topped up the coolant before heading back to work in Hertfordshire. I was a bit anxious all the way back but everything seemed okay. Then a couple of miles from work the needle started to go up again, i pushed on and then when i pulled in to work the needle went off the scale, i thought the Surf was going to take off. Lots of steam, and when i opened the bonnet there was steam pouring out of a hole in the top of the radiator. There seemed to be a buzzing coming from the engine, though this could have been the steam coming out of the hole in the radiator. I got a bit more advice and the guy said that it looked like i needed a new rad cap as the seals gone, and that he thought i could get the radiator patched as it's a tiny hole. I topped up the coolant and headed home (big mistake?), after about a mile i was surrounded by white smoke, a cloud of it behind me, steam from the engine, and smoke from the engine too. The check engine light was well and truly lit by now. It made the rest of the journey on the back of a lorry...

I would really apprecieate any advice (constructive critisicm welcomed, but you won't stop me supporting Liverpool!) or suggestions for what might be wrong with my Mule. The whispers of "why don't you sell it?" are starting, but i love this car, it is my pride and joy and i really hope i can fix this. A big thankyou in advance for your help and for all the helpful advice i've received in the past,

It is a '92 K, 2.4 and has done about 110,000km. I'm not a very mechanically minded person, so an idiots guide would be good, and perhaps appropriate?!

Many thanks,

Nick.
    Oh dear! You're going to have to replace the head because you've either warped it or cracked it. When the temp gauge first went you might have had to fluch the system, but as you didn't I'm sorry but an overhaul is now needed.

Comment

Hi m8ty.
      Sorry but it sounds like the head has gone,get it presure tested
      just to be on the safe side,cost any where between £1,000 to
      £2,000 depends who dose it for you.plus you may need a new rad,
      etc

Once done with a "newer design" head it should not give you any
      more problems..

Try Stevo on this site Very good sound advice and service/price

Cheers Chris
      GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

Okay, thanks for the advice guys, at least i know what im trying to fix,

Many thanks,

Nick.

Comment

TONYN will supply a new modified head for you he is in the BASINGSToKE area
          & maybe able to collect your SURF for you
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
            TONYN will supply a new modified head for you he is in the BASINGSToKE area
            & maybe able to collect your SURF for you
            Thanks Marky, i'll be following that up. Hope to have it up and running soon,

Thanks,

Nick.

Comment

Originally posted by SurfnTurf
              Thanks Marky, i'll be following that up. Hope to have it up and running soon,

Thanks,

Nick.
              No problem thats why this FORUM is the best
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
              (")_(")

Comment

Working...
              X