Checking Cylinder Head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking Cylinder Head?

Is It Possible To Get The Cylinder Head Checked To See If There Are Any Problems? I Think Mines Ok But I Wouldnt Mind Having It Checked For Peace Of Mind. Does Anyone Know How Much It Would Cost And Can It Be Done At Any Garage? I'd Rather Know If There Might Be A Hugh Bill On The Horizon.

Cheers Waddy.

Originally posted by WADDY
    Is It Possible To Get The Cylinder Head Checked To See If There Are Any Problems? I Think Mines Ok But I Wouldnt Mind Having It Checked For Peace Of Mind. Does Anyone Know How Much It Would Cost And Can It Be Done At Any Garage? I'd Rather Know If There Might Be A Hugh Bill On The Horizon.

Cheers Waddy.
    You could have a pressure test done at most garages.
    Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

aparently you can have them x-rayed for cracks etc but I don't know whether they can do it on the car?

Cheers
      Mart

......surf's up pal!

Comment

Originally posted by Mart
        aparently you can have them x-rayed for cracks etc but I don't know whether they can do it on the car?

Cheers
        If you take it to a garage they can check to see if there are any combustion gases getting into the cooling system, as this will be one of the first signs of head problem the other is a pressure test, and are you losing any water?.

Comment

Firstly look for air bubbles in the radiator expansion tank (with the engine running obviously)
          Pop the cap off, pull it back just enough to see in the tank with the overflow pipe still under the liquid level.

Bubbles means troubles!!
          ------------------------------------
          Look out! Ee

Comment

if you can't see any in the expansion tank try taking the rad cap off. Obviously when cool enough, as 0.9 bar equals almost 9 meters of pressure i.e. boiling water squirting 9 meters straight up!!! Not nice.

Then start the engine and even when cold you'll prob get bubbles but you need to run it like this till thermostat opens to get true pic. You shouldn't get any bubbles appearing at all. Had mine done recently and I wasn't losing water but still getting bubbles in rad. Turned out to be cylinder cracked too....but that’s fairly unlikely.

Cheers
            Mart

......surf's up pal!

Comment

Cylinder Head

Just To Say Thanks For All Your Help Will Get Mine Pressure Checked Just To Be Sure. It's Not Losing Any Water And Is Running Fine, Actually It Is Running Alot Smoother And Quieter Recently, But I Just Like To Make Sure Everything Is Ok, Can Do Without The Shocks Of Giant Garage Bills As I Rely On My Car For Work.

Cheers Everyone.

Comment

Working...
              X