Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattle with no power???????

Hi All

Wondering if someone can shed some light on a problem i started having with my 1990 2.4L surf which noormaly runs great no excess smoking good milage (for a tank ) no over heating or oil pressure probs.

Anyhow here is the problem some times on takeoff in 1st or 2nd gear when i try to excellerate the motor gives off a rattling sound and she blows lots of black smoke while producing next to no power if i take my foot off the gas then gently push it again and ease her up to 2000 RPM the problem seems to correct itslef and does not repeate for a few days (sometimes weeks) It does not seem to matter if the engine is cold or warm on flat roads or on hills i cant figure out why she does this but dont want to hurt my baby so am hoping someone here can shed some light on this trouble??

Thanks for any help or advice

Bahamaboy

Have you checked your oil level? or pehaps it needs changing.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Have you checked your oil level? or pehaps it needs changing.
      Yep check oil weekly and it is about 2500K from the last oil change

Bahamaboy

Comment

I've had a look in previous threads regarding 'rattling' and it could be many things.
        Could be your air filter thats loose or not seated properly in it's casing.
        Type 'rattling' in the search box and have a read of other peoples probs. you may find the answers there.

Comment

OK i will give it a try dont think it is the air filter it seems to be the engine itself esp with the heave smoke and loss of power

Will try a search now and see if anyone else has had the same thing going on

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          I've had a look in previous threads regarding 'rattling' and it could be many things.
          Could be your air filter thats loose or not seated properly in it's casing.
          Type 'rattling' in the search box and have a read of other peoples probs. you may find the answers there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bahamaboy
            OK i will give it a try dont think it is the air filter it seems to be the engine itself esp with the heave smoke and loss of power

Will try a search now and see if anyone else has had the same thing going on
            Well did the search and it didnt help as no one else seemed to have the other symptoms happening at the same time Hopfully someone else will see this and be able to shed some light on it

Bahamaboy

Comment

I reckon it maybe something with the fuel pump, rattling could be dieseling because the engine is not running right - overfuelling causing the black smoke and poor performance cos the engine is running rich. Alternatively the turbo may not be spooling up sufficiently quickly - by slowly putting on the gas you are allowing the turbo to spool up - The ECU thinkst the turbo is working and overfuelling again.

Or maybe not, but could be worth a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Bahamaboy
                Hi All

Wondering if someone can shed some light on a problem i started having with my 1990 2.4L surf which noormaly runs great no excess smoking good milage (for a tank ) no over heating or oil pressure probs.

Anyhow here is the problem some times on takeoff in 1st or 2nd gear when i try to excellerate the motor gives off a rattling sound and she blows lots of black smoke while producing next to no power if i take my foot off the gas then gently push it again and ease her up to 2000 RPM the problem seems to correct itslef and does not repeate for a few days (sometimes weeks) It does not seem to matter if the engine is cold or warm on flat roads or on hills i cant figure out why she does this but dont want to hurt my baby so am hoping someone here can shed some light on this trouble??

Thanks for any help or advice

Bahamaboy
                Had the same problem with my Mercedes taxi. It turned out to be the EGR valve faulty. Just disconnected it and problem solved.
                LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO WORK FULLTIME

Comment

Just disconnected my EGR and it helped alot with the black smoke dont know wbout the rattle and power loss yet as that only happens sometimes so need to wait for it to happen again or hopfully never happen again)

Bahamaboy

Comment

Working...
                  X