split CV joint from Drive shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• split CV joint from Drive shaft

can anyone tell me know the CV joint splits from the drive shaft on the front,

is i Circliped, cliped or do you just tap it off with a soft hammer

Cheers

Steve
    They can go fast, I can go anywhere.

think i follow what you're trying to do. Drive the cv joint/outer shaft off the inner shaft? if it's the same as the design as the solid axel cv joint ( it look like it is) there is a circlip inside the joint but its not designed to be reusable, you hold the inner shaft in a vice and drive the joint off with a hammer and drift,ready to catch it when it falls off. then to replace it you have to fit it back together using a new circlip. remembering to have fished the old circlip out from inside the joint.
    hope this helps
    Diesel, like petrol only better

Comment

Cheers for the quick reply the reason i ask is i have to replace the CV boot tomorrow

Cheers

Steve

Comment

You just remove the shaft, take apart the inner CV, and them change the outer boot.

The outer CV isn't designed to be taken apart easily, you normally destroy the retaining clip on the shaft, Its just easier to do it fron the inner end.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
          You just remove the shaft, take apart the inner CV, and them change the outer boot.

The outer CV isn't designed to be taken apart easily, you normally destroy the retaining clip on the shaft, Its just easier to do it fron the inner end.
          Cheers

I did the job yesterday and did it this way, i was quite surprised how easy it was to do

Comment

didn't realise you wanted to change outer cv boot, had changed mine about six hours before posting, using the method Tony descibed.
            Diesel, like petrol only better

Comment

Working...
            X