Injector Removal.(Bas**rd)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injector Removal.(Bas**rd)

Just taken out my injectors for refurb. Didn`t realise you had to take half the engine out as well to get to anything. Can anyone please give me an easy way to get to the injector pipes at the pump end? When i managed to get a spanner on the unions to loosen them there was no room to turn the spanner. I found it almost impossible to get out the leakage rail or injectors without loosening the pipes at the pump first. There must be an easier way, or is it just Toyotas way of making you use a dealer?

Ken. (minus the skin on most knuckles)
    God bless gaffer tape and mastic!

I use some 'stubby' spanners to get the pump pipes undone. The rest isn't so bad, 3.0 fuel pipes are harder to got off IMHO.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Good idea Tony, when I can get a spanner on but cant swing it I sometimes buy a cheap spanner and in the hardware shop and cut to 3 inches long or so

Also I got the injectors out numerous times without ever undoing the pump ends on the pipes. Have you taken off the 4 black clips which hold the pipes tight to each other and the intake manifold, theres two on top of the manifold and two halfway down to the pump, the pipes loosen up fairly well when these are undone, still have to push one or two aside slightly though to get the deep well 14mm? socket on.

You did spend the first 5 mins removing all the air ducting from overhead first didnt you???

Comment

Originally posted by JimL

You did spend the first 5 mins removing all the air ducting from overhead first didnt you???
        What the heating in the garage got to do with it? the bonnet dosn't touch it unless the car is jacked up!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
          Good idea Tony, when I can get a spanner on but cant swing it I sometimes buy a cheap spanner and in the hardware shop and cut to 3 inches long or so

Also I got the injectors out numerous times without ever undoing the pump ends on the pipes. Have you taken off the 4 black clips which hold the pipes tight to each other and the intake manifold, theres two on top of the manifold and two halfway down to the pump, the pipes loosen up fairly well when these are undone, still have to push one or two aside slightly though to get the deep well 14mm? socket on.

Yep, clips and air intake all removed. The only deep socket i had to remove the injectors was a bit thick (it was an impact socket) so for the two rear injectors i had to remove all the throttle linkage and the fittings on the top of the manifold. Stubby spanners sounds a good way to go. The guy who is doing my injectors said the truck had been running really hot, the nozzles were tinged blue from overheating, although i`ve had no noticeable signs. Any idea what could be the cause?

Comment

Even more confused now. Got all the new injectors in without too much hassle and she now goes like the proverbial sh*t off a shovel. I think the injectors must have been naff when i first biought it a year ago, the difference is amazing. Only problem is, the rattle which first led me to suspect it might be injectors is even more pronounced now. Is it just a case of letting the new injectors bed in, or is it a possible timing problem? There is no increase in smoke output or power loss.

Ken.

Comment

If you play with the fuel pump on some deisels, increased power alway comes with more rattle, (and usually more smoke).

Praps someone has altered the fuel pump timing, this might make it run hot as well.

Not sure, just a theory.

Comment

Ring or Pipe spanner

Hi,

When I did mine I would have prefferred a pipe spanner but not having the right size I got an old ring spanner and cut a hole in the ring with the angle grinder! This gives you enough room to slide it up the pipe, pivot a notch, and slide it back down. The shorter the spanner for this the better.

Elfstone

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                  If you play with the fuel pump on some deisels, increased power alway comes with more rattle, (and usually more smoke).

Praps someone has altered the fuel pump timing, this might make it run hot as well.

Not sure, just a theory.
                  Makes sense Tony, I will get it checked out at the weekend and let you know the outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfstone
                    Hi,

When I did mine I would have prefferred a pipe spanner but not having the right size I got an old ring spanner and cut a hole in the ring with the angle grinder! This gives you enough room to slide it up the pipe, pivot a notch, and slide it back down. The shorter the spanner for this the better.

Elfstone
                    What a brilliant solution - so simple but so effective. I have even managed to get to the lower union nearest the block without too much trouble, i needed to, as it wasn`t much more than finger tight. Thx for the tip.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                    X