losing water too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• losing water too

Ive had my surf for about a month and everything has been good so far. Last night I was driving it on the motorway and it started to heat up, so i put the heater on full blast in the car and the temp dropped nearer normal. it fluctuated all the way to my destination, but never into the red. when i arrived it was just below the red and i switched off allowed to cool then checked water level. it was way down and took nearly 2 litres to fill via the rad cap filler.

I checked the oil and its smooth black with no sign of milkyness or foam.

could this be a simple coolant leak? Im quite worried about having let it get so hot, as I said before it never went into the red, but if the head is prone to crack is there anything I can do to find either a slow coolant leak or a more serious problem? It is still covered by the warranty from the garage I bought it from, but I would rather source the problem first before I have to call them if its more than just a leaky cap or hose. Plus, what coolant/anti rust stuff should I be putting into the rad to replace my simple tap water from a bottle?

any advice greatly appreciated.
    she's no angel

Originally posted by Toyney
    Ive had my surf for about a month and everything has been good so far. Last night I was driving it on the motorway and it started to heat up, so i put the heater on full blast in the car and the temp dropped nearer normal. it fluctuated all the way to my destination, but never into the red. when i arrived it was just below the red and i switched off allowed to cool then checked water level. it was way down and took nearly 2 litres to fill via the rad cap filler.

I checked the oil and its smooth black with no sign of milkyness or foam.

could this be a simple coolant leak? Im quite worried about having let it get so hot, as I said before it never went into the red, but if the head is prone to crack is there anything I can do to find either a slow coolant leak or a more serious problem? It is still covered by the warranty from the garage I bought it from, but I would rather source the problem first before I have to call them if its more than just a leaky cap or hose. Plus, what coolant/anti rust stuff should I be putting into the rad to replace my simple tap water from a bottle?

any advice greatly appreciated.
    Hi mate - check underneath and see if anything has coolant dripping off it (ie below water pump etc) also check the rad for pin holes and hoses for splits etc etc.
    Mine had a coolant leak coming from the water pump and then dripping off the back of the aircon rad. Have a good nosey.
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
      Hi mate - check underneath and see if anything has coolant dripping off it (ie below water pump etc) also check the rad for pin holes and hoses for splits etc etc.
      Mine had a coolant leak coming from the water pump and then dripping off the back of the aircon rad. Have a good nosey.
      I had a good nosey this morning and i topped the water up again, it needed maybe 1/4 of a litre or slightly less to fill her up again and that was after a 1hour motorway drive the day before. so looks like its a slow leak somewhere.

Which antifreeze/anti corrosive coolant should I be using? will any make do?
      once Ive found the leak, obviously i need to make sure the rad is filled with more than just tap water.

Im a bit of a girl sometimes when it comes to fault finding so apologies for that if I sound like a right dappy woman.
      she's no angel

Comment

I had a good nosey this morning and i topped the water up again, it needed maybe 1/4 of a litre or slightly less to fill her up again and that was after a 1hour motorway drive the day before. so looks like its a slow leak somewhere.

Which antifreeze/anti corrosive coolant should I be using? will any make do?
        once Ive found the leak, obviously i need to make sure the rad is filled with more than just tap water.

Im a bit of a girl sometimes when it comes to fault finding so apologies for that if I sound like a right dappy woman.
        Hi Toyney,
        Had the same problem myself when I first had it (about a year ago).
        Came down in the end to a slight leak in the water pump. Got a new one, from Milners, fitted and since then no problems.
        I use bog standard anti-freeze (50/50 mix, CarPlan I think. A bit over the top but better safe than sorry).

Ken
        [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][B][I][SIZE=3]When the going gets tough - Get out !!![/SIZE][/I][/B][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by The Kid
          Hi Toyney,
          Had the same problem myself when I first had it (about a year ago).
          Came down in the end to a slight leak in the water pump. Got a new one, from Milners, fitted and since then no problems.
          I use bog standard anti-freeze (50/50 mix, CarPlan I think. A bit over the top but better safe than sorry).

Ken
          where is the water pump located? this is the first car ive had with the engine this way around and its thrown me a bit, ive never worked on a diesel, or a car with turbo, or an automatic.
          ok, workshop manual, thats what i need... is there someone on here that sells them?
          she's no angel

Comment

where is the water pump located? this is the first car ive had with the engine this way around and its thrown me a bit, ive never worked on a diesel, or a car with turbo, or an automatic.
            ok, workshop manual, thats what i need... is there someone on here that sells them?
            Its behind the timing belt cover, you need to remove all the V belts, fan and crankpulley to get the cover off, then you can get to the water pump bolts. You don't need to disturb the cam belt though, But seeing as your in there, I'd change the belt if you don't know when it was done last.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
              Its behind the timing belt cover, you need to remove all the V belts, fan and crankpulley to get the cover off, then you can get to the water pump bolts. You don't need to disturb the cam belt though, But seeing as your in there, I'd change the belt if you don't know when it was done last.
              thanks for that info. I have a sticker on the top of timing belt saying it was done at 100457kms. its currently got 148000ish kms on the clock. its got a fair bit of japanese service history with it, although no british service history. its only been in the country just over a year and only one british owner since it was here. he was in thames valley 4x4 club i think as theres a sticker for it on the back window.

Ive been removing a load of old mud from underneath the engine/chassis area this morning and found a potential slow drip of water while i was down there, I havent traced it yet so still not sure of its origin.
              sounds like the water pump is a bit of a bugger to check for leaks if its hidden behind the cam belt.
              she's no angel

Comment

thanks for that info. I have a sticker on the top of timing belt saying it was done at 100457kms. its currently got 148000ish kms on the clock. its got a fair bit of japanese service history with it, although no british service history. its only been in the country just over a year and only one british owner since it was here. he was in thames valley 4x4 club i think as theres a sticker for it on the back window.

Ive been removing a load of old mud from underneath the engine/chassis area this morning and found a potential slow drip of water while i was down there, I havent traced it yet so still not sure of its origin.
                sounds like the water pump is a bit of a bugger to check for leaks if its hidden behind the cam belt.
                did you clean the rad off? if there was a lot of mud under there chances are the rad is blocked with it too that could be causing it to oveheat and the water overflow out of your expansion tank,

Comment

Originally posted by Ste00
                  did you clean the rad off? if there was a lot of mud under there chances are the rad is blocked with it too that could be causing it to oveheat and the water overflow out of your expansion tank,
                  rads fairly clean, although it could do with removing for a proper wash down. its held temp perfectly for the past 3000km, then the other day it almost overheated due to lack of water.. I think it was the lack of water not the small amount of crud on the rad that made it get hot.

im going to see if i can get a workshop manual t assist with removal of rad and other bits so i can A: give it a damn good cleaning and B: access whereever is leaking and fix it.
                  Im hoping its something simple ish like a water pump or hose because anything morem than that is way beyond my meagre capabilities.
                  she's no angel

Comment

rads fairly clean, although it could do with removing for a proper wash down. its held temp perfectly for the past 3000km, then the other day it almost overheated due to lack of water.. I think it was the lack of water not the small amount of crud on the rad that made it get hot.

im going to see if i can get a workshop manual t assist with removal of rad and other bits so i can A: give it a damn good cleaning and B: access whereever is leaking and fix it.
                    Im hoping its something simple ish like a water pump or hose because anything morem than that is way beyond my meagre capabilities.
                    if your ever the other side of the river pop in and you can borrow my Haynes (which doesnt account for the air con compressor by the way.)
                    Tim

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                      if your ever the other side of the river pop in and you can borrow my Haynes (which doesnt account for the air con compressor by the way.)
                      is that the same manual that I see milners have listed? not specifically LN130 but includes it?

I try and avoid driving anywhere near london if I can help it. its the devils armpit. thanks for the offer of a look at the manual, i really should get one for myself I think.

its funny really this water leak, as I had to replace the rad in my mr2 just a month after buying it because it leaked badly. seems water leaks are my thing when first owning a toyota. it feels like its testing me.
                      she's no angel

Comment

is that the same manual that I see milners have listed? not specifically LN130 but includes it?

I try and avoid driving anywhere near london if I can help it. its the devils armpit. thanks for the offer of a look at the manual, i really should get one for myself I think.

its funny really this water leak, as I had to replace the rad in my mr2 just a month after buying it because it leaked badly. seems water leaks are my thing when first owning a toyota. it feels like its testing me.
                        Max Ellery are the ones to go for apparently - there is often on on ebay.

I think mine is probably the one from Milners - I got it with the car
                        Tim

Comment

Working...
                        X