Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cooling system

Got my surf last week, love it!

However, within 3 days she was in the garage, only the water pump, not very expensive to fix, but im telling myself this car isnt going to cost me a fortune in repairs as long as i look after her!

SO, the water pump was changed and i got the car back last night, with a note from the garage saying to check the coolant level.
    It seemed a bit low, so i topped it up a bit.
    But where should the level be?
    On my volvo there were clear markes saying MAX and MIN but i cant see anything on this.
    Also where should the temperature guage sit?
    I havent took her on a long run yet, but on a general 15 min trip to tamworth she slowly gets up to just below the cnetre of the picture on the guage, and sits there? does that make sense?

So where should my coolant level be?
    Im dead paranoid (as are all 2.4 owners) about the head going, so i understant the importance of keeping the cooling system in top shape.

Is there anything else i can do to keep her running ok, just general common sense things, dont mind if they require lots of elbow grease, just want to keep her out of that garage and on the road!
    Have had the head blessed by my vicar too, hope this helps!

Any help would be great

Tim (new nervous surf owner)

Originally posted by pasoundtim
    Got my surf last week, love it!

However, within 3 days she was in the garage, only the water pump, not very expensive to fix, but im telling myself this car isnt going to cost me a fortune in repairs as long as i look after her!

SO, the water pump was changed and i got the car back last night, with a note from the garage saying to check the coolant level.
    It seemed a bit low, so i topped it up a bit.
    But where should the level be?
    It should be full - i.e. up to the rad cap, fill from there not the expansion tank
    On my volvo there were clear markes saying MAX and MIN but i cant see anything on this.
    Also where should the temperature guage sit?
    I havent took her on a long run yet, but on a general 15 min trip to tamworth she slowly gets up to just below the cnetre of the picture on the guage, and sits there? does that make sense?
    That sounds about the same as all of us
    So where should my coolant level be?
    Im dead paranoid (as are all 2.4 owners) about the head going, so i understant the importance of keeping the cooling system in top shape.

Is there anything else i can do to keep her running ok, just general common sense things, dont mind if they require lots of elbow grease, just want to keep her out of that garage and on the road!
    Have had the head blessed by my vicar too, hope this helps!
    Take a look at the stickies in the servicing section this might help with greasing info etc (still not done mine )
    Any help would be great

Tim (new nervous surf owner)
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Coolant level may drop a little for a day or two till all air is out of system.This is normal.As stated above fill via thermostat housing cap and then check level in expansion tank.If you look at side of this there is a step in tank where it narrows toward bottom.Use this as the point to fill to.If the cooling system is operating correctly then there is no need to remove the cap all the time.Just keep on eye on expansion tank level.Your temp gauge is normal.

Did you change the timing belt?This would have been a good time to do it as most of the things removed to do water pump will need to be done again.

Neville

Comment

timing belt was chacked, ive only just got the car, and my mechanic said the same thing about it being a good time to do it,
        he says its looks good an quite new.

Thanks for the advice on the coolant, i shall do what you guys said.

All is running smoothly with the car, i love it, except ONE THING.

The electric rear window is fastly becoming the bane of my life!

When i got the car, it was slow, and struggled, and occasionally didnt work,
        my mechanic said it could be cos it wasent frequently used, so,
        i oiled the relevent parts, and ran it loads, and it was great, for about three days.
        Then this afternoon, out of the blue refused to work.
        The motor is working (can hear it) but is not engaging the window.
        It wont really move by hand either.
        Its really starting to annoy me, as loading and unloading are the reason i bought the car, ie moving my drumkit/pa/lighting rig around.

HELP!

Tim

Comment

Working...
        X