Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 head

hi
    im looking to buy my first surf - a 2.4td auto, 1991 at a reasonable price. I know the cylinder head went about 1000 miles ago, and was replaced with a head off another surf. im worried by the talk that these go all the time. my question is how do i know if the replacement head is one of the recall replacement new ones which are less likely to go bust.
    If its the old type head (like the one thats just gone) should i avoid it or what could i do to ensure it wont break in the future?
    Any advice would be great
    many thanks!

Originally posted by jimmy_james
    hi
    im looking to buy my first surf - a 2.4td auto, 1991 at a reasonable price. I know the cylinder head went about 1000 miles ago, and was replaced with a head off another surf. im worried by the talk that these go all the time. my question is how do i know if the replacement head is one of the recall replacement new ones which are less likely to go bust.
    If its the old type head (like the one thats just gone) should i avoid it or what could i do to ensure it wont break in the future?
    Any advice would be great
    many thanks!

its hard to tell if its a new, redesigned head or not, if it,s a head off another surf and you dont know i,m afraid you are going to have to live with the worry, my surf was in the country 2yr before i bought it and iv,e had it almost 2yr and still worry about the head as i have no way of knowing if the head has gone and been replaced or not

ship

Comment

Originally posted by ship
      its hard to tell if its a new, redesigned head or not, if it,s a head off another surf and you dont know i,m afraid you are going to have to live with the worry, my surf was in the country 2yr before i bought it and iv,e had it almost 2yr and still worry about the head as i have no way of knowing if the head has gone and been replaced or not

ship
      cheers ship
      its a great motor, so i can only guess if i keep an eye on over heating and coolant levels things should be ok...i think i will go for it!
      this is an ace site...i can see im gonna enjoy my surf here

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy_james
        cheers ship
        its a great motor, so i can only guess if i keep an eye on over heating and coolant levels things should be ok...i think i will go for it!
        this is an ace site...i can see im gonna enjoy my surf here

I am not so sure keeping an eye on the levels etc will make any difference. if its one of the dodgy batch of heads it will go. Mine never overheated, levels all good etc and the head went, thats life.
        Depending on what sort of money you is paying for this Surf it may be worth looking around for one thats had a NEW head fitted. If your picking it up for a song & dance and the head goes then your quids in if you get it fixed. Not trying to put you off buying it, just pointing out the facts.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

As Nigel has said you will not get Symptons like you do on a car, When the expansion bottle starts throwing out coolant start to worry. Then again it could be rad cap or sticking thermostat.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Working...
          X