Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big problem i need help

hi guys
    i have a big big problem the other day i reversed and killed a fiat punto although i am fully insured i kind of hurt my surf i need a new tail gate i have a 2.4 td chassis number l Ln130 j plate as i am a woman i kind of got away with the arguing that a car owner can give i have been driving over ten years now and have never had a smash but god did i do this one good i was very shaken and very upset i had to ring my other half to come get me to take me home i have lost faith in reversing now,my insurence company are saying that because it is over ten years old that i may not beable to get it repaired and i am worried sick i have tried to see if i can get a replacement tail gate but folks are saying that i cannot get one please help i have to take it to priory at mansfield tommorow afternoon and i am dreading it got any answers for me oh and by the way i am a careful lady driver so no jokes please
    taekwondododo

Originally posted by bub
    hi guys
    i have a big big problem the other day i reversed and killed a fiat punto although i am fully insured i kind of hurt my surf i need a new tail gate i have a 2.4 td chassis number l Ln130 j plate as i am a woman i kind of got away with the arguing that a car owner can give i have been driving over ten years now and have never had a smash but god did i do this one good i was very shaken and very upset i had to ring my other half to come get me to take me home i have lost faith in reversing now,my insurence company are saying that because it is over ten years old that i may not beable to get it repaired and i am worried sick i have tried to see if i can get a replacement tail gate but folks are saying that i cannot get one please help i have to take it to priory at mansfield tommorow afternoon and i am dreading it got any answers for me oh and by the way i am a careful lady driver so no jokes please
    Hi Bub,

Sorry to hear about you killing a Fiat Punto, can I suggest you contact Tony or Linda on the forum here first, they might have what you need, you would do well to let them know if your spare wheel lives on the back or under the car too.

If they cannot help (VERY RARE) then can i suggest this

Trev
    Last edited by That Ruddy Squirrel; 3 May 2005, 10:49. Reason: named the wrong victim, it should have been an Astra !
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
      Hi Bub,

Sorry to hear about you killing a Fiat Panda, can I suggest you contact Tony or Linda on the forum here first, they might have what you need, you would do well to let them know if your spare wheel lives on the back or under the car too.

If hey cannot help (VERY RARE) then can i suggest this

Trev
      thanks i have to take the surf tomorrow to priory (recomended by my insurance) but if the news is bad i will contact tony or linda all it needs really is a new tail gate but i hope that they may beable to knock or pull the dent out mine came off better than the punto but with a 2 ton surf i didnt now the punto was there untill i was in top of it i can laugh at it now but at the time it wasnt funny
      taekwondododo

Comment

I have sent Tony and Linda a PM so they are aware of your plight.

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
          I have sent Tony and Linda a PM so they are aware of your plight.

Trev
          thanks for that trev
          taekwondododo

Comment

trev how much does the veg oil coversion cost as my surf seems to guzzle juice at the moment and can you do it yourself
            taekwondododo

Comment

Originally posted by bub
              trev how much does the veg oil coversion cost as my surf seems to guzzle juice at the moment and can you do it yourself
              If you are mixing Veg and Dino no conversion is required

However before burning ANY veg oil get registered with C & E - if you do a search you will see several threads - also try searching for EX103.

Remember that duty has to be declared and paid on Veg usage, otherwise C & E will not be happy bunnies.

Trev

Comment

There is a tailgate up for sale on ebay right now. Finishes 9.45 tonight.

eBay
                Paul </Slugsie>
                Immortal.so far!

Comment

I got one one ready to go
                  Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                  My choice
                  Back off

Comment

Originally posted by bub
                    hi guys
                    i
                    my insurence company are saying that because it is over ten years old that i may not beable to get it repaired and i am worried sick i have tried to see if i can get a replacement tail gate but folks are saying that i cannot get one please help i have to take it to priory at mansfield tommorow afternoon and i am dreading it got any answers for me oh and by the way i am a careful lady driver so no jokes please
                    Thats a pile of $hite!!! New panels are available, as are plenty of used ones, insurance people really get on my t!ts!

Why is a car thats ten years old considered finished? arn't we suposed to be saving the planets resourses? "Lets make people buy a new car every ten years" way to use up raw materials.

Anyway, rant over, lots of used tailgates around, Koi's got one, I've got one, but its got a little dent in it. I could do with the insides out of yours if you get a complete one though.

Good luck.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Complete tailgate currently on Ebay - starting bid £150 - currently no bidders
                      See below URL

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW

I think I am right in saying that motor manufaturers only have an obligation to maintain a parts catalogue for 10yrs after that the pattern part manufacturers can move in with exact copies. You can generally buy say body panels for most vehicles but they are usually very slightly different to avoid litigation over design copyright etc. I would put money on there being a plentiful supply of body parts in the far east for the Surf as that's where a lot of the pattern parts originate from.
                      Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

thank guys
                        i`m gunna take it tommorrow to see what the garage says then i have an examiner coming to see the poor surf on friday morning so i will wait to see what they say.as for your tail gate i will have it if they write mine off then i am gonna buy it back off of them and do it up myself.(that should be a laugh) my surf is my pride and joy will let you know how i get on cos im crossing my fingers its not critical
                        taekwondododo

Comment

Congratulations on crushing a Punto. Try and get a Saxo next time, they really p*** me off.
                          Don't let the garage fob you off. If your not happy, take it to Toyota. They will get the parts. I sacked off 2 insurance approved garages when some idiot (in a Saxo) ran into the side of me. They wanted to do a bodge repair on a broken wheelarch and side step because they " couldn't get the parts coz it's an IMPORT innit"
                          So I refused the repair, and took it to Toyota who fitted a nice new side step and nice new wheelarch.
                          Pete

Comment

Heh Bub, don't worry about the accident, it happens to the best of us. I backed into a parked Renault 19 last year in Lyndhurst. I'm sure it wasn't there when I parked (despite the owner having left it there 2 hours before I arrived) but I completely missed it when I came to back out of a parking space. Luckily for me I've got a rear mounted spare.. that's what hit the other car, so not even a scratch on mine but a big dent in the french tin.

Hope you get it sorted ok and don't let the insurance co fob you off!!
                            Mike G

Comment

My local Toyota parts dept reckon they can get anything required for a Surf - the most common items (service items etc) are held in this country anything else can be obtained within days - as already said, you have rights, don't let them fob you off. If they do offer you a write-off payment - again you have a right to market value and nothing holds it's value like a Surf, make sure you have plenty of dealer adverts as evidence of value and insist on that value. And should they write it off you normally have first option to buy it back where - as you now know - parts are available and there are lots of dedicated Surfers on this Forum who will gladly help you out.Good Luck and Nil Illigitimi Carborundum (Don't Let the B*****ds Grind You Down)
                              Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Working...
                              X