Smoky on first start.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoky on first start.....

Hi there, my first post, no doubt not my last! I bought my 1992 2.4TD Surf a few weeks ago and so far I'm delighted with it. Seems like they are really well built machines and just what I needed right now.

I've got a few niggles with it so far, some of which I reckon I can sort myself having read through the FAQ here. I'm a bit stuck on the smoke issue though. When just started from cold there is quite a cloud of blue smoke coming from the exhaust. I always wait for the glow plug light to go out and normally a little longer. As far as I can tell it doesn't smoke under normal driving/accelerating or when being started whilst warm.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Tonks
    Last edited by Tonka; 26 April 2005, 11:13.

I wait till the buzzer sounds before cranking over from cold or wait till you hear the GLOWPLUG relay click.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
      I wait till the buzzer sounds before cranking over from cold or wait till you hear the GLOWPLUG relay click.
      I'll give that a go over the next couple of days and see if that does the trick, thanks.

Comment

Also use some REDEX Diesel treatment as this will clean out the Injectors.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Or Millers - or any of those fuel treatments. Give it a double dose, then a good run. Also consider using a Fuel Cat (look here for details - we supply (and fit) these now and can discount the RRP for forum members )
          Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Tonka
            Hi there, my first post, no doubt not my last! I bought my 1992 2.4TD Surf a few weeks ago and so far I'm delighted with it. Seems like they are really well built machines and just what I needed right now.

I've got a few niggles with it so far, some of which I reckon I can sort myself having read through the FAQ here. I'm a bit stuck on the smoke issue though. When just started from cold there is quite a cloud of blue smoke coming from the exhaust. I always wait for the glow plug light to go out and normally a little longer. As far as I can tell it doesn't smoke under normal driving/accelerating or when being started whilst warm.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Tonks
            Blue smoke is generally from burnt engine oil. If the smoke is only when you first start the engine from cold (especially from standing overnight) it is most likely from oil that has got past worn valve stem oil seals - it is not generaly serious and the fact that the exhaust is clean at all other times pretty much confirms it. Possibility of oil from a split EGR pipe turbo oil pipe etc. so worth checking these. If there was blue smoke all the time most likely cause would be worn piston rings. Black smoke is generally overfuelling - possibly from worn injectors/incorrectly set injector pump. White smoke either condensation from a cold exhaust or coolant leaking into the cylinders from knackered head gasket
            Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Right then, loads for me to consider here, many thanks for all the advice.

The car was imported a couple of years ago, the head gasket blew a couple of weeks after the previous owner bought it from the importers and so they replaced the top half of the engine. I have the receipt and details of the work filed away. So, hopefully it's not the valve stem oil seals or the piston rings (pretty sure these were attended to at the same time). It's only done 30k miles since and I know the previous owner looked after it well.

Thanks again.

Tonks

Comment

Working...
              X