X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• click..click...FAAAAAAAA...K

The other morning we were up at 0400hrs for a trip to the Airport
    I said to HER "give us a minute, I'll fire up the Ghost and we'll be off."
    I jump in and get that dreaded hilux death click, not the real heavy one of the start solenoid trying to go but a real poxy weak one. I check the battery power and both are showing 12.2V.

Meanwhile SHE hits the roof, and I mean a real tantrum coz my wagon is first in the drive blocking hers in ......oooops
    Try pushin a 2Ton box of sh1t out the drive by yourself. It ended up with the front wheels in the gutter blocking the next driveway, ( I live at the end of a cul-de-sac ) well "..uckem" I thought they wont be up till 7 and I'll be back home by then.
    We grab her car and off the the airport, It was only HER and the little one of to Oz so I could get home and sort out the Ghost.

Right now to the point.
    Out with the starter 20mins flat!!
    I whipped the end off the solenoid and found that one of the copper bolts that holds the contacter in place had sheared off.
    2 minutes in my big tray of bolts and out pops a nice 8mm stainless machine bolt.....that'll do me we thinks!!!
    20mins back in for the starter and the ol girl roars into life...YIPEEEEE!!!

Fair call if ya think it is a long story but ya all should have seen the look on HER face when the Ghost refused to start
    Simon.O.
    '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Glad it was an easy fix, but at that time of day, strewth!!!

I see in your future mods section, you're gonna fit a bonnet scoop/vent. I fitted two vents last summer and this has been the best mod I have done to the truck so far. They really help to get rid of engine heat if you're stuck in traffic or on the move.

Comment

hi bushwhacker seen your pics of the bonnet scoops look great an chance of a couple more pics a where and how would be nice if not to much trouble its top of the list of jobs to do this year

Comment

Originally posted by mud-ge
        hi bushwhacker seen your pics of the bonnet scoops look great an chance of a couple more pics a where and how would be nice if not to much trouble its top of the list of jobs to do this year
        Hi, that is the only photo I have showing the vents, sorry.
        I got them from ebay, for £15.
        They are from a Vauxhall Astra gsi/gte. I done loads of measuring to make sure they were in between the strengthening ribs of the bonnet, thats why they are angled. I also drew round the vents on to some cardboard to make templates and then transfered these to the bonnet, onto which I stuck down some masking tape to prevent scratches from the jigsaw.
        Now, deep breath, drill a hole big enough for a jigsaw blade, cut out the holes, brush the cut edges with primer, then fit vents.
        They come in two halves, so no glueing required, the other half bolts to the top half from underneath.
        Thats it, job done.

Comment

Hay BUSHWHACKER, just had a look at your pic, two questions, 1, are they good old colway MT's on yer waggon? if so, do they realy stick like sh*t when off road?
          2, My mate has the mitsu l200 warior, what is the possability of glueing one of those scoops to a bonett?
          And to anyone else, has anyone tried this yet?
          Back in the world of Surfdom

Comment

If you are fitting vents to aid cooling ensure have the vents facing the windscreen to let the hot air out otherwise they wont really serve their purpose.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
              If you are fitting vents to aid cooling ensure have the vents facing the windscreen to let the hot air out otherwise they wont really serve their purpose.
              Thats no good, how are you supposed to suck fly's and small fury animals in through a vent facing the window?
              Suppose they would fall in after hitting the screen!
              Back in the world of Surfdom

Comment

Yep, they are colway mud terrains. As for grip, on wet soggy fields, A1.
                On snow, no worries.
                On the road, no probs , and they make a lovely rumbling noise that turns peoples heads so my truck always gets a good eyeballing.

As Marky says, open end of vent must face winscreen so air rushes in through rad and out through vents. also one of my vents are positioned directly above the turbo so loads of under bonnet heat is released when the truck is stationary as well.
                Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 27 April 2005, 23:03.

Comment

Working...
                X