X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling Conundrum

Hi Guys,
    I'm in a bit of a fix...

I bought a 2.4 diesel Hilux recently, and it was losing water and overheating badly.
    I got a mechanic to replace the head gasket, and flush out with pressurised water and then refill the cooling system (he used the proper pipe-up-in-the-air method) . While he was at it, he also replaced the thermostat.

The problem is it's still overheating after about 15 minutes of running.
    Is the system blocked up with crap requiring a strip down and clean, or could it be something else?

Originally posted by Mihpster
    Hi Guys,
    I'm in a bit of a fix...

I bought a 2.4 diesel Hilux recently, and it was losing water and overheating badly.
    I got a mechanic to replace the head gasket, and flush out with pressurised water and then refill the cooling system (he used the proper pipe-up-in-the-air method) . While he was at it, he also replaced the thermostat.

Is the system blocked up with crap requiring a strip down and clean, or could it be something else?
    HI, Sorry to have to say this but your head is probably cracked.
    If you have a good read of the forum you will find this seems to be a common
    problem. Put a new head on and you should have years of fun with your Surf.
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

theres every chance its the head / gasket the 2.4 seems prone to this check out the search option under head / gaskets /overheating,lots of posts on the subject ,or even a caked up rad on the out side if its been off road and through the deep mud,just a thought though, plenty of people on here will be adle to give more advice but there still in bed lol

Comment

The head was pressure tested and cleaned and is fine

The head was pressure tested and cleaned and is fine, so I'm wondering what more could possibly be wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Mihpster
          Hi Guys,
          I'm in a bit of a fix...

pardon my ignorance...

what is the proper pipe-up-in-the-air method?
          just wondering as I have had a similar prob ( after having my timing belt renewed and coolant replaced) and have been wondering could there be an airlock if so how to eliminate it or how to be certain there is no airlock
          cheers
          Bobo

Comment

I think he means this: burping coolant system

Comment

Just a thought

I was thinking if the 2.4s overheat a lot causeing cracked heads ect. If you were to fit an intercooler and extra radiator fan and make the fans kick in earier. Would this be enough to keep the temp down to a safe level? not sure if theres room for this, if it did work.

Any thoughts on this? Or is this just crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by festeroffroad
                I was thinking if the 2.4s overheat a lot causeing cracked heads ect. If you were to fit an intercooler and extra radiator fan and make the fans kick in earier. Would this be enough to keep the temp down to a safe level? not sure if theres room for this, if it did work.

The HEAD had a design fault as the waterways came far too close to the heads surface near the valve seats causing it to crack.
                Attached Files
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by festeroffroad

Nah, it's like marky said.
                  You're either unlucky, or your cooling system wasn't up to scratch, causing the head to go - the original heads are a bit delicate. Cooling the engine more than it was designed to be will only make it less efficient. I think an intercooler would put more stress on the engine anyway - its a way of getting more power out of it, just like a turbo is.

Comment

Working...
                  X