Injector problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injector problem?

As i have mentioned in previous posts, since a dabble with running on vegoil i have had problems with engine knock/rattle and several people have offered opinions as to the cause from cam problems through to ends. Apart from the knocking, the truck runs fine with no oil or water loss. The only thing i have noticed is a slight misfire/vibratioin at speeds over 65. This week i finally got it listened to by a mechanic who deals with surfs for the local dealer i got the truck from. After much revving and head scratching he informed me there was no real problem and said he was 99% sure the answer was a crappy injector, probably due to the muck from the fuel lines that the vegoil had loosened and a new set of injectors would cure the problem. Does this sound a reasonable diagnosis? As cash is real tight at the moment, i don`t want to lash out on new injectors for nothing. Any feedback from those of you in the know would be most welcome. Also, can anyone recommend the best place for exchange /refurbed injectors, apart from ukcylinderheads, which is the only place i`ve found using the search facility.

Thanks in advance,

Ken.
    God bless gaffer tape and mastic!

DieselBob does them, i spoke to him on the phone when I thouhgt it was injectors not a dodgy lot of fuel and he said £28-£38 per injector depending how good you want them.
    http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
      DieselBob does them, i spoke to him on the phone when I thouhgt it was injectors not a dodgy lot of fuel and he said £28-£38 per injector depending how good you want them.
      http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/
      Thx for the info m8, will look into it when i can feel more certain that this is the problem.

Cheers, Ken.

Comment

try running without Vegoil for a while, and shove redex in to see if it'll clean the injectors
        Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
          try running without Vegoil for a while, and shove redex in to see if it'll clean the injectors
          Packed it in weeks ago and have tried injector cleaner. Last service i filled the fuel filter with the cleaner and fired her up on that. No joy - so if it is injectors, they need more than just a clean.

Ken

Comment

We had worn injectors at 70,000 miles, before using veg oil, it ran fine, but when bench test they just dribbled out, after re-con it runs even better.

I'd get them tested and sorted out. We paid £220 for 4 new nozzles and needles, and 1 new body.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
              We had worn injectors at 70,000 miles, before using veg oil, it ran fine, but when bench test they just dribbled out, after re-con it runs even better.

I'd get them tested and sorted out. We paid £220 for 4 new nozzles and needles, and 1 new body.
              Looks like this is the way to go but were you getting any engine knocks and rattles?

Ken

Comment

I've been on veg for a couple of years and have recently noticed a tapping/ticking noise. Had the valves checked and everything was OK, so maybe its injector trouble aswell. But, I only noticed the noise after the glow plugs were changed, can anyone think of a link?

Comment

Got a set of refurb injectors from ukcylinderheads for £70 and they work really well.

Comment

Hmm, you got a set of refurbed injectors for £70, and Tony had a set repaired/rebuilt/refurbed for £220. What am I missing / what's the difference? Am still considering having mine looked at.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                      Got a set of refurb injectors from ukcylinderheads for £70 and they work really well.
                      They`ve gone up a bit now. Just ordered a set, £120 but guaranteed to be new needles and nozzles.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                        Hmm, you got a set of refurbed injectors for £70, and Tony had a set repaired/rebuilt/refurbed for £220. What am I missing / what's the difference? Am still considering having mine looked at.
                        hehe, he found a better place!!!

In all fairness, the place we went to quoted a lot less, but one injector was completely foobarred, and we needed a whole new body as well as just the nozzels, so the price hike was for that.

If your just buying reconned ones, you won't have that trouble, its only cos we were sort of old ones out.

Comment

Ah good point about the new body - I should have paid a bit more attention

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                            Ah good point about the new body - I should have paid a bit more attention
                            I'll let you off, especially as I need to suck up to you as I still havn't sorted your truck out yet!!!!

Its been pulled around the yard a few times to make spaces, so may have a few more miles on it, but havn't swapped the timing chain yet. Linda's got Friday reserved in the diary for getting the horse lorry tested and fix Robs truck! so I guess thats it then!!!

Comment

lol...Yeah danno said he was being used as slave labour again shifting things about!
                              I'm still got my fingers crossed about the timing chain but not holding my breath!

I'll let you off too - you've had loads of toys to play with!

Comment

Working...
                              X