Starting my surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting my surf

I may be acting like a spoon (second time in a week). Where it was cold and damp I had a problem with starting my 2.4 1993 surf.
    As usual I turned on the ignition, the little heatin light went out (2-3 secs) but I have been waiting until I get the beep. Is this too long? I was reading in a different thread that I should maybe just wait about 3 -5 secs after the light goes out. Can anyone confirm this?
    I am the friend of Hypno-Toad

Time delay

Hi sheeprus,

As a general rule I wait until the beep but realistically it should be a wait of 5 - 10 seconds depending on the temp.

Hope this helps,

Elfstone.

Comment

It does, it's just a case now of figuring out if the glow plugs are heating properly or what other part of the system that may be causing the issue

Comment

Originally posted by sheeprus
        It does, it's just a case now of figuring out if the glow plugs are heating properly or what other part of the system that may be causing the issue
        Is there a beep???? This may explain why my Surf turned over OK but fired up a bit reluctantly, as I was only waiting until the glowplug light went out....oops.

Comment

Usually a beep

Originally posted by JimSuperSix
          Is there a beep???? This may explain why my Surf turned over OK but fired up a bit reluctantly, as I was only waiting until the glowplug light went out....oops.

The beep comes on after about 15 or 20 seconds, its enough for you to get your seat belt on as a general rule. Someone else may confirm this but my guess is that its there so you don't sit with the ignition on while the engine isn't running and so flaten the battery because the glow plugs keep drawing power.

Elfstone

Comment

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...low+plug+timer

take a look at this thread... tells you about glow plug timer

of course it could be that your glowplugs aren't working efficiently, there's a thread somewhere about how to test them.
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...ing+glow+plugs

here's one on testing... there's one somewhere giving ammeter readings but i can't find it at the mo.
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...ing+glow+plugs

here's one on testing... there's one somewhere giving ammeter readings but i can't find it at the mo.
                Have ordered new glow plugs, they seem to be a consumable part on these trucks, will get them fitted in the next few weeks and reports back from there.

Comment

theres a beep? is it on the 3.0 as well i have never heard any beeps :S

Comment

more an alarm than a beep, if you dont turn the key to start then eventually the alarm sounds to remind you to either switch off or start

Comment

Right, Just bought new glowplugs from a nice man in Cork (Cheaper the the UK at the moment) does any one have a scanned copy of the Haynes mannual they can let me have so that I have vague idea of what I'm trying to do?

Cheers

C

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                        more an alarm than a beep, if you dont turn the key to start then eventually the alarm sounds to remind you to either switch off or start
                        ah so its not a "you can start it now" thing more of a "start me now you fool you have been sat here for half a hour"... k just checking

Comment

Changing the glow plugs

This is a little bit of a fiddly job, sorry I haven't a scan of a manual the proceedure is:

Remove the black plasic "air tunnel" which is connected to the hose from the air cleaner, it is held on with 2 bolts.

Remove the metal "air tunnel" running over the crankcase cover, just undo/loosen the hose clips at each end and pull off the small hose at the front left then pull it out. It is a bit fiddly putting it back afterwards involving a bit of levering of the hoses with a screwdriver to get it back on afterwards but is not too bad with a little patience.

You should now be able to see the metal "bus bar" to the glow plugs. undo the nuts on top of each glow plug and the nut on the post that attaches the bar to the engine and power cable. Once you have changed the plugs with a 14mm deep socket, be carefull on re-assembly of the bar.

There are 2 plastic spacers on the post and if you don't assemble them correctly you will blow the glow plug fuse. The correct order on the post is: Blue spacer, bus bar, power connection, black spacer, washer nut. Make sure neither the bus bar nor the power connector is making any contact with the mounting post, or bye bye glow plug fuse.
                          [SIZE=2][COLOR=White]You can't have everything. Where would you put it?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Excellent! It's raining here like it;s the end of the world, if it eases up at some point then I'll make sure I get that done.

Thank guys, very helpful all round!!
                            Lets help my wee beasty be better!!!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X