Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Oil

Hi,

Just been to Wales for the weekend, when down there I notices a few patches of oil under my 2.4 K Reg, when inspected closer, I found a lot of oil residue under the sump area and along ghe axle. Red Oil. I checked gearbox oil level and was well below the 'cool' indicator. I took the risk and drove back from Wales, made it thank God.

Any idea's ?

Transmission fluid is leaking.Top up to correct level to avoid any transmission damage and find out where it is leaking.

Neville
    Last edited by NiftyNev; 11 April 2005, 13:04.

Comment

Neville,

How and where do I top it up ?

Thanks

Comment

Through the Auto Transmission dipstick tube.

Neville

Comment

Neville,

Sorry to tester you, what oil do I use ?

Do I just funnel it in ?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by nmorgan
            Neville,

Sorry to tester you, what oil do I use ?

Do I just funnel it in ?

Cheers
            Look at the dipstick on the autobox filler tube, it should have markings on both sides, one side for hot, and one for cold.
            Hot means after a good run where the gearbox has been doing some work ie mixed driving causing the gearbox to change up and down a bit. Leaving the engine idling will not warm up the gearbox oil, similarly a long motorway run will not properly heat up th oil at the gearbox will have been doing relativly little work.
            Cold obviously enough means cold

When checking the level you must have the engine running. With your foot firmly on the brakes, cycle the gearbox thru all positions a few times, letting it remain in each for a second or so. Return it to Park and check the level within a minute or so, any longer and you should re-cycle it thru the gears again.
            Maurice
            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by nmorgan
              .....what oil do I use ...
              If you look around a bit, you'll find the top thread in this section lists all the various oils you can require. The info is there for the finding......

Maurice
              Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Working...
              X