To tow or not to tow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To tow or not to tow

I have been told that if you tow an auto it will kill it.

What I want to know, without searching, is, if you select Nutral in both 4wd and on the bo-selecta, or gear selecta, will I have the same problems?

If there is anyone out there who is willing to give this a try, can you let me know the results cos I love my little baby too much
    Back in the world of Surfdom

Originally posted by Djandco
    I have been told that if you tow an auto it will kill it.

What I want to know, without searching, is, if you select Nutral in both 4wd and on the bo-selecta, or gear selecta, will I have the same problems?

If there is anyone out there who is willing to give this a try, can you let me know the results cos I love my little baby too much
    how far are you towing it?

usual practice to disconnect prop if you're gonna tow it any distance
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

From what I understand, it's not recommended to tow an auto on it's driven wheels as the gearbox will be moving, but as the engine isn't running it won't be getting lubricated properly, which at best will cause unnecessary wear, and at work will cause it to lock up with disasterous consequences. On the Surf however, if you put the transfer lever in the middle (neutral) position, the gearbox should be totally disengaged and thus is should be safe to tow.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
        From what I understand, it's not recommended to tow an auto on it's driven wheels as the gearbox will be moving, but as the engine isn't running it won't be getting lubricated properly, which at best will cause unnecessary wear, and at work will cause it to lock up with disasterous consequences. On the Surf however, if you put the transfer lever in the middle (neutral) position, the gearbox should be totally disengaged and thus is should be safe to tow.
        don't know the names of gearbox parts, but the part of it which drives the prop (final drive??) will still be turning... same for manuals. don't seem to do it on cars, but trucks always have the prop taken out

Comment

As an after thought, should have called it, to be towed or not.

Anyway, I have spoken to a local maniac and he said it would still kill it even if I stuck everything in nutral.
          But I dont trust him, his eyes are too close together!

I don't plan on being towed at all, but I nearly had to be when the head went pop!

This is for future use, never needed I hope

Comment

Anyway, I have spoken to a local maniac and he said it would still kill it even if I stuck everything in nutral.

I don't plan on being towed at all, but I nearly had to be when the head went pop!

does he have bushy eyebrows and a baldy head?... that's a sure sign!... (was on thunderbirds anyway!)

Comment

I thought he was a duck

He had a very big bill

Comment

When the Bullet did a wheel bearing and we had to be AA'd home the mechanic insited upon a full lorry transport, and refused to let her go on a A bar towy thing... dunno if tht was because of the blown bearing or her being an auto, but my daddy always said I should never have my car towed if its auto. That said I have dragged a few out of the mire in the past and noone ever complained...

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

I think its because the AA can charge for a tow truck, when my gf car went splat with a hole in the rad, he insisted on getting a tow truck and another bill for £45 for the 15.6 mile trip home!

Comment

I think its because the AA can charge for a tow truck, when my gf car went splat with a hole in the rad, he insisted on getting a tow truck and another bill for £45 for the 15.6 mile trip home!
                    Nope - no extra charge - all part of the relay service... apparently it was because of the rear wheel bearing according to BIG TONY!!
                    Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
                      Nope - no extra charge - all part of the relay service... apparently it was because of the rear wheel bearing according to BIG TONY!!
                      He eaten all the pies?
                      It's only a hobby!

Comment

I've always been led to believe that you don't tow [bump start] an auto
                        Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
                          I've always been led to believe that you don't tow [bump start] an auto
                          You can't! not don't!
                          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I used to bump start my mates Ford Corsair auto, we pushed it with the front bumper of my Transit, need to get up to at least 30mph before it started.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                              I used to bump start my mates Ford Corsair auto, we pushed it with the front bumper of my Transit, need to get up to at least 30mph before it started.
                              V4 2.0 goes like a dream & so COMFY.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                              (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                              X