Technical question regarding valve interference on 2.4 diesel engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical question regarding valve interference on 2.4 diesel engine

Hi there. Well my Surf has been off the road for ages and I need her back! To cut a long story short - I replaced the alternator and the oil feed to it broke off on the motorway and so the truck lost oil onto the road. I had it recovered and then found out what had happened. The engine started (with fresh oil) but sounded absolutely awful. When I stripped it down further, I found that the belt timings were out by one tooth. I'm wondering whether the stress of it all somehow caused the belt to jump....does this sound likely?

If the crank and cam are out by one tooth would this cause the valves to hit the pistons and would that cause damage to the valve stems? I'm not sure to what extent these engines are interference ones.

Many thanks for any input on this, much appreciated.

Not sure how much valve clearance there is but probably worth getting a new timing belt kit including idler, tensioner, cam seal, crank seal and water pump and get it timed correctly and see what happens. Belt timing is often wrong if you do not install correctly. I always install belt with crank one tooth before TDC then release the tensioner then align crank. This takes the small amount of slack out of the belt between pump and crank. Always check timing marks when finished though.

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
      Not sure how much valve clearance there is but probably worth getting a new timing belt kit including idler, tensioner, cam seal, crank seal and water pump and get it timed correctly and see what happens. Belt timing is often wrong if you do not install correctly. I always install belt with crank one tooth before TDC then release the tensioner then align crank. This takes the small amount of slack out of the belt between pump and crank. Always check timing marks when finished though.
      Ok, thanks Nev, much appreciated. Yes, I have the belt, tensioner, water pump. What do I need a cam seal and crank seal for?

Comment

Originally posted by Tonka View Post
        What do I need a cam seal and crank seal for?
        For little cost, it's good insurance in case the ones in there a bit worn. Not worth the risk of an oil leak which means you do the whole job again. Use genuine Toyota seals. They are very good.

Comment

ThAnks Nev, much appreciated. Watching some videos online etc I think what I might do is remove the glow plugs and see if I can get an inspection cam down there to see if I can see evidence of damage/contact. Determined to get my Surf back - I really miss it!!

Comment

Ok, well over a year on and I’m back on the same job!! Determined to see it through this time but it’s been a real battle tbh. Is it worth me checking the oil pump in case it’s seized/damaged before I put it back together or are they unlikely to fail? Is there anything else I should be checking over before I put it back together?

Comment

Working...
            X