yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do 2.4s overheat and the 3.0 do not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do 2.4s overheat and the 3.0 do not?

Hi All,
    Its been many years since i owned a Hilux Surf or visited the forum but i am now thinking of buying another Surf i know of a very reasonably priced tidy 2.4 that has had a new head fitted due to cracking its previous one due to overheating but i am still worried about overheating issues is this fault curable/preventable? ideally i would buy a 3.0 but funds are a bit limited why do 2.4s overheat and the 3.0 do not? any advice or suggestions much appreciated
    Cheers,
    Chas.
    Cheers,
    Chas.

Hi Chas,

It isn't so much that 3.0's don't overheat (they can/do), its just less frequent than the 2.4L engine.

Paul.

Comment

The thing is that there is no reason at all for a properly maintained Surf to overheat. I have owned a 2.4 LN130 for coming up to 12 years. Despite some very harsh offroading and sometimes towing in excess of two tonnes it has never overheated. But I regularly check coolant and oil levels, flush out the entire cooling system every couple of years and ensure that the fan belt is at the correct tension, that the viscous fan coupling is working and that the thermostat is working. I also always replace the water pump when changing the cam belt (about £22 so money well spent). Maintain a vehicle well and it will be reliable.

I kind of wish it would crack the head as it would be a good excuse to install a 1UZFE engine!
      Last edited by cruiser; 16 June 2018, 11:04.

Comment

Hi Chas,

not been on here in ages, i bought my 2.4 12 years ago, head failed after 6 months 60,000kms a real bummer, so I fitted a new one
        and it's never overheated since, now at 304,000kms. just look after it well and all will be fine, change the oil every year, coolant every
        2 years and lock up the thermo fan st10,000 oil is OK. keep an eye on the tranny fluid too.
        trailered my race car from Leeds to Landow in Wales non stop with no probs. Go buy it, and have fun.

Gman.
        If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Thanks for the replies and info my worries about the 2.4s are now not so bad as i see and suspect it was down to neglect rather than a design fault unfortunately the Surf i was interested in was sold before i had the chance to buy it so am i am now looking for another for sale 2.4 or 3.0 if reasonably priced and as near to Tamworth would be nice please p/m if you have any for sale
          Cheers,
          Chas.

Comment

No Worries Chas.

To be fair, its probably one of those things where in reality, its one of the few issues the Toyota's have, and its probably a very small percentage which are affected anyway,

I've owned 3 Land Rover Discovery's all 300TDI's and the last one had never had a head gasket change, the first one however, the cylinder head had been planed to scraping thickness its gasket had gone so many times.

Paul.

Comment

Hi Chas, to be fair it all depends on the sort of people that had them 10 years prior to import n then regular maintenance thereafter once here in the UK....
              Tony N, a legend about Toyota P/ups n Surfs will however put his finger on the precise cause I'm sure !! sse his advert on here 4x4 Toys .
              Pretty much what Cruiser says already whether an Import or not n for my dosh it might be worth waiting a little longer n get ya self a 3.0l KZN130
              7n half years a 2.4 (LN 130) owner n 10 + years a 3.0l (KZN 130) owner, Surf no3 is also holding it's own 12 months ownership..
              Good Luck whatever ya get (pics is a must)

18+ Years of Surfs ...10 years on Spotless it was but expired last week....My other KZN 130 Yota is now also faultless to a "T", I hope !!
              Last edited by Diezel Weazel; 18 June 2018, 16:22. Reason: Missing text
              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Thanks for all the advice and info much appreciated as you can see i have bitten the bullet and bought a 2.4 automatic the one above sold so this is another see my post (Just bought a 2.4 with coolant leak) anymore help or advice very much appreciated
                Cheers,
                Chas.
                Cheers,
                Chas.

Comment

Working...
                X