rear bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear bearings

I have noticed a noise when i turn left only it seems to be coming from the rear drivers side wheel.

well this morning whent out and had a quick look, took the wheel off and the drum. i found that theres a lot of movment in the shaft. i then inspected the left hand side and found it to be nearly has bad. could this just be bearings that need changing if so to get into the bearing do i remove the four bolts that are behind the brake assembly???? and will it need any speacial tools??
    CHEERS JOHN................

Originally posted by slim
    I have noticed a noise when i turn left only it seems to be coming from the rear drivers side wheel.

well this morning whent out and had a quick look, took the wheel off and the drum. i found that theres a lot of movment in the shaft. i then inspected the left hand side and found it to be nearly has bad. could this just be bearings that need changing if so to get into the bearing do i remove the four bolts that are behind the brake assembly???? and will it need any speacial tools??
    The below URL could be just what your looking for:

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/wheelbearings.htm
    Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Silversurfer

thanks m8......
      CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

You'd think they'd change some of the !!!!ty photos in that write-up, wouldnt ya.
        Derek :
        1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
        [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Is it compulsary to have at least 12 pints of larger before starting?
          Or is this just needed to get the photo's in focus???

Back in the world of Surfdom

Comment

Originally posted by Silversurfer

Some of the 'big equipment' described isn't necessary. You can cut/smash off the old bearing retaining collar with a Dremell and hammer & chisel (big screwdriver). The old bearing can similarly be removed from the hub without recourse to Acetyline torch and a huge press (like we've all got those!!).

Refit- main thing hear is to press in the new bearing with even force. Use a big vice (6"+) and turn the whole job round every mm to make sure the beaing goes in the hub straight.

The bearing retaing collar is best tapped down evenly using a five foot length of 2" dia scaffold pole over the halfshaft.

I've changed three now it gets easier each time- make sure you get a quality bearing.

Nevillef

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy
              You'd think they'd change some of the !!!!ty photos in that write-up, wouldnt ya.
              When can we expect to receive the better ones from you?

You can send to techsite@toyotasurf.asn.au

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                When can we expect to receive the better ones from you?

You can send to techsite@toyotasurf.asn.au

Neville

As soon as i have to change mine, i'll send some. And at the rate things are breaking on mine, that'll be faily soon!
                Derek :
                1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
                [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Working...
                X