Clunk and tyre wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clunk and tyre wear

My 91 2.4 has had clunking from the front for a while now.It seems to happen when turning sharply at low speeds.I can dismiss the steering stops and grease issue,due to the clunking happening before full lock,plus I already tried it.The car has been pulling to the left and also the steering wheel is not centered when going in a straight line.I've also had major tyre wear on the inside of the nearside front tyre.The car hasn't been kerbed.I've had my Surf for 3 years now and has been fine till recently.It's wearing BFG 31"x 15's which it's had all through my possesion.I'm replacing the tyre tomorrow,so I could do with some help to pinpoint the problem fairly quick as the BFG isn't the cheapest of tyres.I've been under the car with a second person turning the steering, also tried to lever the various bushes but have drawn a blank.
    My only other option is to replace all steering and associated components, which won't be cheap and could be unneccessary.If anyone has had the same problems or could shed some light on the issue,I would be very grateful.
    I've tried a search on the subject which has hilighted a few maybes but nothing that pinpointed the problem or a cure.
    I'm sure you guys will able to help,you didn't fail me with the cylinder head.
    Thanks,Ian.

First thing is to get the tracking checked by the tyre dealer who is fitting the new tyre. It's not unknown for a wheel to go out of alignment hitting a pothole in the road. And if you take it off the black stuff it's more than possible. Try that and see what the result is but wear on the inside is usually incorrect alignment.
    Mike G

Comment

Wishbone bushes????

I have not had the same problem on my surf but a previous car of mine did a similar thing and even the MOT man couldnt find the cause as the wishbones are under a lot of load and cant be levered easily, he tried with a very long bar cos i asked him to try and find the problem for me. It turned out to be the chassis/wishbone bushes worn oval, it only clunked on about 3/4 of full lock then clunked back as you straightened, if it is this it would put your tracking out and cause uneven tyre wear.
      Hope that helps
      If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
      I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

Jack up the front end and have a good shake at the wheels, could be ball joint/s on the front.
        If its possible get someone to walk along side you and try to narrow down which side its or if it does when stationary get underneath whilf they turn the wheel
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

so you use a pry bar to test for worn wishbone bushes - how much movement is acceptable.
          As i tried with a crow-bar and got noticeable up-down movement
          my truck still pulls to one side and has not got the best handling even after
          I've replaced all tie-rod ends, steering stabilizer, all wishbone ball-joints, idler arm bushes and had tracking checked!!
          Landcruiser Colorado
          Sub. Forester

Comment

Working...
          X