i bought dis surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i bought dis surf

i bought a surf a couple of months ago (k reg 2.4td)and ive been slowly learning bits and bobs that need doing to it and working myself up to them (im real lazy and dont have a huge amount of time) im doing the idler arm bushings in a week or so and lubing up while im on, but i was under the bonnet doing the egr mod and i noticed some black gunge on the engine block where it is screwed down, i have a receipt from the previous owner (who had it from import for a year) saying the pressures had been tested and the head done, wondered if this was a danger sign, should i be thinking of changing the gasket? (the oil is real dirty too looks like an oil change is in order)

Originally posted by parn
    i bought a surf a couple of months ago (k reg 2.4td)and ive been slowly learning bits and bobs that need doing to it and working myself up to them (im real lazy and dont have a huge amount of time) im doing the idler arm bushings in a week or so and lubing up while im on, but i was under the bonnet doing the egr mod and i noticed some black gunge on the engine block where it is screwed down, i have a receipt from the previous owner (who had it from import for a year) saying the pressures had been tested and the head done, wondered if this was a danger sign, should i be thinking of changing the gasket? (the oil is real dirty too looks like an oil change is in order)
    Could be coming from anywhere, breather pipe, pipe to turbo etc etc. Best bet is to get engine cleaned up then check often to see where it starts coming from.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

I was just reading about this on the ozzie surf site last nite, Dandownunder had this problem and a few others chimed in to say they had similar - oil weeping from the headgasket area down the outside of the block

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewt...2+8+conversion

head gasket suspected

Comment

Hmmm, very interesting... time for a steam clean and a degrease and a thorough investigate... anyone want to quote for a gasket and head bolt change?

Comment

petey

mine is doing the same and i also found a lovely big hole in my turbo inlet pipe, would this contibute to the oil being sucked through ffrom the breather?

Comment

a generous honour from japan

no hooks! (i have plenty of gracefull Koi in my pond), you personally have an SSR LTD, there is much i can learn from you. Dont really use the PC much, only since the kids showed me how to get online!
            Last edited by peteward; 23 March 2005, 22:38.

Comment

yeh those big turbo hoses are a disaster after 14 odd years, full of cracks and dripping with oil coming in legitimately thru the rocker cover breather pipe (1st time Ive been able to use 'legitimately' around here I think!)

Comment

thanks for the input guys im gonna clean up and then run it for a bit see if i can see any bubbles or anything (im probably worrying about very little, but its easy to get paranoid when your new to something i think) ill post back when ive cleaned it and had another look.

Comment

Working...
                X