rear heater matrix(urgent)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear heater matrix(urgent)

can you help,please.tried all the forums,including burbing the cooling system,unable to get any heat from rear heater.all pipes connected.anybody had similar prob's.thanks.

Check around the Thermostat housing and see if you have two small hoses connected to a T piece on each of the large heater hoses.Maybe these have been removed or disconnected.There should be two short lengths of hose which connect to metal pipes about the size of fuel line and these go to rear heater.

Neville

Comment

connected

its all hooked up just does'nt get warm,not even pipework.front perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by larry
        its all hooked up just does'nt get warm,not even pipework.front perfect!
        close front heater (set to cold) this will push it round the rear matrix. If still no joy then you need to start investigating.
        Ensure coolant levels are topped up correctly.
        Is the heater slider control connected?
        Has the rear heater leaked and someones simply by passed the matrix now??
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

Youwill probably need to remove the matrix and flush it out as it will be blocked.It is very easy to get at. Or you could leave it in, remove the pipes underneath and connect a hose pipe and flush it like that.

Comment

rear heater

thanks for the information,folks,will try a stripdown this bank holiday.

Comment

rear heater,continuing saga

No Joy,cleaned out both pipes to rear heater,water running clean through both.removed rear matrix and flushed it out,bit of crud in it but not much? t-pipe joint, feeds it o.k,no air locks in system.so whats the problem.the pipes are like brake lines,very narrow so probably would take a while to get through some heat,the valve works o.k, any more ideas folks,would be greatly appreciated,its the only thing that does'nt work on my surf.

Comment

No Joy,cleaned out both pipes to rear heater,water running clean through both.removed rear matrix and flushed it out,bit of crud in it but not much? t-pipe joint, feeds it o.k,no air locks in system.so whats the problem.the pipes are like brake lines,very narrow so probably would take a while to get through some heat,the valve works o.k, any more ideas folks,would be greatly appreciated,its the only thing that does'nt work on my surf.
                As you appear to have checked every other possibility the only other thing I can think of is the water pump - a long shot I know - but if the impeller was damaged, choked up or slipping on it's shaft then it possibly couldn't build up enough pressure to force the coolant through two small pipes to a heater matrix located towards the back of the vehicle. As the rear heater is a parallel take off then the coolant will circulate through the engine alright and even the front heater but extra pressure would be required to push it to the back. As I said - a long shot but if you have tried everything else might be worth checking.
                Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Water has a natural habit of finding its own level .Now because the the water in the rad is higher that the heater matrix in the back it doesnt really matter about the size of the pipes as long as the rear heater is on hot.The size of pipes just decides how much water you push through. I would have thought that there is a blockage of some sort or your hot and cold setting could be broken and this is causing some back pressure.

All you can do is eliminate the sections one at a time till you find the cause.
                  I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

Comment

can you help,please.tried all the forums,including burbing the cooling system,unable to get any heat from rear heater.all pipes connected.anybody had similar prob's.thanks.
                    Try turning the heater on and driving round, just having the engine running might not be enough to get the heat through, it works for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X