My Hilux runs out of steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Hilux runs out of steam

I recently bought a 1989 Hilux pickup 2.4d with 150k miles on the clock. Everything is great for the first 20 miles/half hour or so then the power drops off quite quickly and it eventually stops completely. After a few minutes it will restart with a bit of coughing and spluttering and then clears and runs ok for another minute or so before dying again. This only seems to happen when the tank is less than half full. This is my first 'oil burner' so I'm a bit lost. Could it be the fuel filter?

Originally posted by tillers9
    I recently bought a 1989 Hilux pickup 2.4d with 150k miles on the clock. Everything is great for the first 20 miles/half hour or so then the power drops off quite quickly and it eventually stops completely. After a few minutes it will restart with a bit of coughing and spluttering and then clears and runs ok for another minute or so before dying again. This only seems to happen when the tank is less than half full. This is my first 'oil burner' so I'm a bit lost. Could it be the fuel filter?
    The fuel filter should be the first thing to check then check that there is no air in the system. Certainley if the fuel filter is blocked the pump will struggle to draw enough fuel through. Not sure about the significance of the level in the tank but check the above first.
    Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

I would put a fiver on it being the fuel filter for sure.
      Also try emptying a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as well.

Comment

Sound like an airlock in the tank have you tried removing the fuel cap as soon as the problem starts? if you hear a woosh then check for a blocked breather pipe, although I can't tell you where it is there has to be a way to let air in as the fuel goes out.
        Hope this helps.
        Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

I had very similar symptoms when my egr valve stuck open.

Comment

Thanks guys, I've tried the fuel filler cap thing with no success and I'm not sure what an egr valve is or where to find it, so I'll get a new filter and see if that does the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by tillers9
              Thanks guys, I've tried the fuel filler cap thing with no success and I'm not sure what an egr valve is or where to find it, so I'll get a new filter and see if that does the trick.
              do a search for egr... think there might be an FAQ on it with pics of what does and where it is.
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
              X