Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My mechanic cant get rocker cover off

Ok ok ok so its me who cant get it off!

10 nuts off and it wont budge, dont want to prise it in case I warp it. I know youre thinkin if he cant even get the rocker cover off then he has no chance with whats below it. Anyway...........any help out there

Originally posted by JimL
    Ok ok ok so its me who cant get it off!

10 nuts off and it wont budge, dont want to prise it in case I warp it. I know youre thinkin if he cant even get the rocker cover off then he has no chance with whats below it. Anyway...........any help out there

Just had mine off, had to give it a bit of help with a screwdriver. Just under the front corners to break the seal. or try a small rubber mallet.
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Try running a stanley knife around the joint, 9 times out of 10 it works.

Comment

Give it a few taps around the edge with a rubber mallet, works for me every time

Comment

Blow in the hole at the side, thats what its for. Should just pop off. Just wait till it cools down. Can be very hot sometimes.
          Derek :
          1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
          [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Okaly dokaly Ned Flanders I blew in the hole and it worked.

This evening Ive got the turbo off and almost the exhaust manifold also. The 8 bolts/nuts that hold the manifold are off anyway but theres a stay under the manifold that props it up from lower down near the oil filter and these nuts look like they are tomorrows 'Toyota was takin the pi$$' half hour. Instead of battling with what looked like an impossible inside EGR pipe nut on the exhaust manifold I took the hacksaw to the pipe and sliced it across the middle, thats another half pound lighter she'll be.

When thats finally done its over to the intake side and thats where someone like Lucky can help me or anyone else. Whats comin off exactly????

Comment

8 bolts on the inlet manifold and thats it.
              Well almost, to get to the last bolt underneath by the bulkhead undo the three bolts on the EGR bracket to move it out the way to gain access.
              Undo electrical connetion washer assembly on buzz bar.
              For a bit more room take stat housing off thats all I can think of.
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                Give it a few taps around the edge with a rubber mallet, works for me every time
                Hot or cold taps ? I got a mixer tap in the kitchen .

Rick
                Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Grand thanks for the info. Ive taken off the thermostat housing and the glowplug stuff no probs, have the EGR stuff off and its not going back on, still I cant see how I will be able to move the inlet manifold away and off its bolts without the fuel pump getting in the way. Have any of ye had to move that, sounds like a pain.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Grand thanks for the info. Ive taken off the thermostat housing and the glowplug stuff no probs, have the EGR stuff off and its not going back on, still I cant see how I will be able to move the inlet manifold away and off its bolts without the fuel pump getting in the way. Have any of ye had to move that, sounds like a pain.
                    If you just taking the head off you don't need to move the manifold far, most of the 8 fixings should be bolts. If you have studs the put on two nuts and tighten them against each other then you can take the studs out. You should find all the ines underneath are bolts and only a couple of accessible ones one the top are studs.
                    If you need to remove the fual pump, take off the pulley, two bolts hold the fuel pump on. One either side of it, the back one nearest the engine is a bit of a pig to get to. A longish extension slid in from under the manifold parallel to the engine is the easiest way. Next to the bolt on the outside of the pump you will see a small line on the pump housing and it should be in line with another line on the mounting housing these are your timing marks.

My 4x4
                    My choice
                    Back off

Comment

Thanks again Nigel. Thats a fine tip about tightening the nuts together and pulling the stud out, I'm getting close now. I still havent removed the camshaft sprocket coz I cant figure how to stop it turning without Toytools, there must be a regular tool everyone knows about but me.

Ive disco'd more vacuum parts and flying saucers and manifolds and brackets I know if I dont keep this job rolling that I'll be left stumped when it comes to refitting it all.

Comment

Thanks again Nigel. Thats a fine tip about tightening the nuts together and pulling the stud out, I'm getting close now. I still havent removed the camshaft sprocket coz I cant figure how to stop it turning without Toytools, there must be a regular tool everyone knows about but me.

Ive disco'd more vacuum parts and flying saucers and manifolds and brackets I know if I dont keep this job rolling that I'll be left stumped when it comes to refitting it all.
                        In the pulley should be two threaded holes, simply put two appropriate bolts in these and use a lever between the two bolts to hold back whist you undo the pulley one.

My 4x4
                        My choice
                        Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                          In the pulley should be two threaded holes, simply put two appropriate bolts in these and use a lever between the two bolts to hold back whist you undo the pulley one.
                          ok this is starting to drag, 2 long bolts threaded in there and a bar slipped between them and pushed clockwise, fine

problem is the lever bar passes right thru the centre of the sprocket hence in the way of the bolt

so I put the breaker bar and socket onto the 19mm sprocket nut and use just 1 long nut and lever between the 19mm socket and long bolt, the long bolt bends like a yuri geller spoon

this is not for DIY tools

Comment

ok this is starting to drag, 2 long bolts threaded in there and a bar slipped between them and pushed clockwise, fine

problem is the lever bar passes right thru the centre of the sprocket hence in the way of the bolt

so I put the breaker bar and socket onto the 19mm sprocket nut and use just 1 long nut and lever between the 19mm socket and long bolt, the long bolt bends like a yuri geller spoon

this is not for DIY tools

It must be on tight then, you really need to wind the bolt in as far as possible leaving just enough sticking out to get a purchase on it with the lever.
                            Also try and give the socket wrench/bar a few good sharp whacks with a hammer, this initial shock often loosens them up.

My 4x4
                            My choice
                            Back off

Comment

Working...
                            X