gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gearbox

what the trouble is that nearly every time i try to put the car(2.4) into reverse gear it crunches.does anyone else have this problem!
    taekwondododo

Originally posted by bub
    what the trouble is that nearly every time i try to put the car(2.4) into reverse gear it crunches.does anyone else have this problem!
    Manual or Auto box ??
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

If you have any sort of revs left, or do it to quick most cars will, had a V6 4Runner, and our 2.4 Surf will both do it.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by marky
        Manual or Auto box ??
        it's a manual!
        taekwondododo

Comment

I`ve not had a car thats not had this problem. My 2.4TD manual Surf is the very same, sometimes its fine other times it takes a few few shots to get it home. If I get annoyed I lift the clutch a little while putting it in and let it crunch in

I don`t think its too much to worry about, as I say, I`ve had 6 other cars and they all did this and are all, but one, still running today.

Comment

You rarely have a sycromesh on reverse, so its not selecting forward gears.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

mine too, until I ditched it for other reasons and put a '86 pickup box in its lovely and lubey

Comment

Mine doesn't crunch but you can feel it's not so smooth as the other gears. You might have a bit of clutch drag (other gear changes might feel a bit notchy too if this were the case), or it might be one of those things. I had a crappy old Peugeot 309 which always crunched into reverse, the only way to prevent it was go into first gear then reverse before letting the clutch out. I think it was the same gear but reverse had an idler in between to make it go backwards, dunno if that is also the case with Hiluxes/Surfs.

Comment

Normally, you shoudl not get a crunch on selecting reverse. Possible causes are:
                  1) vehicle not stationary
                  2) engine idling too fast (should be about 750rpm)
                  3) clutch not freeing properly due to EITHER contamination of clutch face causing stickiness OR maladjustment not allowing plates to separate fully (or both )

Best fix is to deal with these causes. However, as a short term measure you can select any forward gear first to stop the gearbox internals rotating and then quickly select reverse without releasing the clutch in between. You may be able to achieve this without actually selecting the forward gears but just by leaning on the gearlever enough to cause the synchromesh to work and stop the rotation. However, if the cause is number (3) you may not be able to avoid the gearbox picking up speed again between the fwd and reverse selection.

Needless to say, if you dont get it fixed properly you WILL eventually damage the clutch and gearbox.

Cheers

Kev

Comment

Working...
                  X