damn tyres are rubbing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• damn tyres are rubbing!

just got some nice new 31/10.5/15 tyres on 15x8 steel wheels and they rub at the front on full lock, looks like the tyre is rubbing at the back of the wheel arch on the bodywork. Have removed the mud flaps and mounting bolts so it doesnt catch on them. Is there anything i can do? will spacers help?
    Its a '93 2.4 wide body and the orignal wheels and tyres were 265/70 on 15x7 rims. I asked around before i bought them and most people thought id get 31/10.5/15's on without a lift.

thanks guys
    Matt

yeah mine do fot but rub on full lock sometimes driving kerbs etc - cant hear it but some paint is missin at the front.
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

i thought if it was going to rub anywhere it would ahve been at the front on the inside of the bumper but they are rubbing in the back or the wheel arch, ie: near the door hinge end but inboard a bit.

what if i swapped the rims for some 15x7's is that likely to help and would there be any problem running 15x8 on the rear axle and 15x7 on the front as long as i used the same size tyres?

would spacers help the problem or make it worse? i assume worse. . .

thanks
      MATT
      Last edited by Amedias; 5 March 2005, 02:04.

Comment

lift vs spacers

I do not know about spacer prices over ther but take a look at a spring lift.
        I went up 2' and kept my shocks.
        $250 for the coils vs $300 for spacers...well I was going to lift it anyway!!
        It took me less than 2 hours and only 3 pints
        Simon.O.
        '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

thanks for the idea but i cant really go out and get a lift done that easily and im not competent enought to do it myself, nor do i have the money. Spacers are a lot cheaper but i just want to know if there is a n easy way to get round the rubbing.

also, wont a 2inch lift just leave me with the same problem when the suspension is under slight compression?

cheers
          Matt

Comment

31x10.5x15 TYRES shouldnt catch i have plenty of clearance on the front. If its rubbing the ends on the front bumper you can move the bumper forward to clear the tyres.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

what sort of arches do you have are they oe or aftermarkets?
              ex Burgundy 2.4 owner

Comment

Originally posted by Amedias
                just got some nice new 31/10.5/15 tyres on 15x8 steel wheels and they rub at the front on full lock, looks like the tyre is rubbing at the back of the wheel arch on the bodywork. Have removed the mud flaps and mounting bolts so it doesnt catch on them. Is there anything i can do? will spacers help?
                Its a '93 2.4 wide body and the orignal wheels and tyres were 265/70 on 15x7 rims. I asked around before i bought them and most people thought id get 31/10.5/15's on without a lift.

thanks guys
                Matt
                If they are only rubbing on full lock then there should be some adjustment on the lock stops to prevent it. You would need to slacken the locknut and screw out the bolt a little at a time until the rubbing has stopped then re-do the locknut. I had similar problems on a Daihatsu 4Trak when I put MT tyres on and this cured it.
                Last edited by Silversurfer; 5 March 2005, 13:47.
                Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

thanks for all the ideas guys, i have original toyota arches and its not rubbing on the bumber, only on the bulkhead.

I think i have found out why though! It looks like the wheels they sent me have the wrong offset because they are much more 'outboard' the original wheels kind of slipped over the drums at the rear and the discs at the front but these ones sit further out so its like ive got wider wheels on AND they're spaced out so it looks like i need different wheels.

might get them to put the MT's on the original wheels to see if that cures it. . .

if it does then where can i get some reasonable priced steel wheels for my surf and what is the correct offset i need to ask for?

thanks!
                  matt
                  Last edited by Amedias; 5 March 2005, 19:25.

Comment

thanks guys
                    Matt
                    You might get away with just a small adjustment of the torsion bars. Measure the distance from the wheel rim to the arch- you'll need to have 14.5" to clear 31" tyres. If not you'll have increase the distance by cranking up the torsion bars. Instructions here:

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/torsion/index.htm

You might find that afterwards the back of the car looks low- now you've got an excuse to fit some +2" springs on the rear!!

Nevillef

Comment

if it does then where can i get some reasonable priced steel wheels for my surf and what is the correct offset i need to ask for?

thanks!
                      matt
                      Make sure you get wheels for a IFS Hilux, not a solid axle like most UK pickups, they are IFS after 98 I think.

Solid axle trucks have narrower axles, so the wheels have less offset, pushing the rim out from the hub.

You need to measure the distance from the back of the wheel mounting face, to the inner edge if the rim, this is the offset.

31's are close fit on the bulkhead, where yours are rubbing, any extra wheel width going out will put the tyre nearer the bulkhead. So you need your offset to be bigger with wider wheels. BUT! to much offset will rub on the suspension and chassis, so there is only so far you can go buying wider rims.

This is why you need to lift the truck to fit big wheels/tyres, wheel spacers help you clear bigger offset, and lifts let you fit wider wheels keeping the offset the same.

Enjoy.
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

thanks for that little explanation it was very helpful.

I was (wrongly) under the impression that offset was measured the other way round ie: large offset means rim further away from axle where as clearly it is the other way around!

i do still have a couple of questions though if you dont mind. . .

1. sus and or body lifts allow you to clear larger tyres BUT when the suspension is under compression do you still get rub becuase the wheels could then effectivly be in the same position they were before the lift? say for example a 2inch lift - surely they only clear until the wheel has moved through 2 inches of its travel - or am i missing the point here?

2. anyone know where i can get some cheapish steel wheels that are correct for my truck? i dont want to risk measuring wrongly and ending up with incorrect wheels again, i would rather get them from someone who can say 'these WILL fit' so i dont have to worry!
                        I told the people i ordered them from that they were for a hilux SURF so either they didnt listen or dont know which wheels i require.

thanks for your help, once again this forum has proved invaluable!

thanks!
                        matt

PS. Hilux solid axle 15x8 steel white painted wheels for sale!

Comment

2. anyone know where i can get some cheapish steel wheels that are correct for my truck? i dont want to risk measuring wrongly and ending up with incorrect wheels again, i would rather get them from someone who can say 'these WILL fit' so i dont have to worry!
                          Bought mine from here:

http://www.bronco4x4.com/steel.html

Tell them they're for a Surf and you'll get the right fit.

Nevillef

Comment

Do you still have your origional 15x7 wheels? 31 10.50s should fit fine on them, i only went to 15x8's when went to 32 11.50s, they'll take 33 12.50s. as for lifts not making any difference under compression it depends if you lower the bumpstops or not.
                            Diesel, like petrol only better

Comment

Working...
                            X