Rattling Transfer Lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattling Transfer Lever

Hi ,My transfer lever has started to make a rattling vibrating noise when i accelerate away when cold.
    When the engine gets nice and hot the noise goes away,i was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and maybe found a cure? i own a 91 2.4 auto, fingers crossed Brian.

Peeps in the past have said their 4WD buttons were the key to the rattling.

Also could be one or three of the four bolts holding the transfer lever onto its home have loosened though thats not likely unless someone neglected something

Comment

In my case it was a couple of spare fuses that had dropped into the crease in the transfer stick gaiter. I felt a right plum when I found out what it was. I had been trying to trace the noise for two days!!!!

I must admit my transfer shift vibrates more than the gearshift.
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Could be a bushing at the bottom of the lever, pull it out and look, 1 hr for the 1st attempt, 5 mins the 2nd time.

Comment

mine can be known to throw a wobbly but its not very noisy
          Tim
          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Rattling from the transfer lever was the first symptom I noticed of one of the UJ going on the prop shaft.
            Last edited by Darren; 22 February 2005, 09:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian
              Hi ,My transfer lever has started to make a rattling vibrating noise when i accelerate away when cold.
              When the engine gets nice and hot the noise goes away,i was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and maybe found a cure? i own a 91 2.4 auto, fingers crossed Brian.
              I had the same problem on a long European trip in my 92 2.4 TD, i put an elastic band around the top and hey presto, jobs a good un. I noticed the 4wd button is loose when not engaged. Old age i guess!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoot
                I had the same problem on a long European trip in my 92 2.4 TD, i put an elastic band around the top and hey presto, jobs a good un. I noticed the 4wd button is loose when not engaged. Old age i guess!!
                Cheers Bigfoot, that cured it, cant believe such a small button could make so much noise!!

Comment

Working...
                X