No announcement yet.

A few technical questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just how difficult is it to install a snorkle? Do I get any power gain due to better air intake or something? apart from less rubbish into the airfilter.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
      are we talking about the small metal one across the engine and rubber tubes either end of it. If so its to do with the 4wd.
      Yes exactly and this is very interesting, because my 4wd isnt working at the moment - most probably because I have that vacum pipe disconnected. Why when connected would this have affect on performance. When connected it seems as if the turbo isnt spooling up. When I disconnect it, the turbo boosts away.

Comment

Originally posted by RMS_CLK
        3. My clutch pedal keeps sticking down on the floor, and i need to pump it and kick it about before it will come back up. Anyone any ideas?
        If as Tony says it is the master cylinder seals, let us know what you did. I put a new MC in and a new Slave Cylinder too, and the problem went away. On inspection a few weeks ago when I pulled the MC apart, the seals dont look bad at all, and the spring was fairly springy too (scientific term ).

I'd love to order a service kit, fit it to old my MC, and give this to someone to see if it worked (for the cost of the kit), in replacement for their old unit - just to see the results. However the fact that most peeps arent closeby means postage and new MC's arent that expensive. Slaves are even cheaper

Comment

Its a nice offer Jim, but I dont think im gonna put the effort into fixing it. Was hoping someone would tell me that a good old bleed would cure it, but that was just wishful thinking. To be honest im thinking of getting rid of the oul hen-house. Has caused me more heart-ache in 1 month than any of my so-called "unreliable vauxhalls" ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
            are we talking about the small metal one across the engine and rubber tubes either end of it. If so its to do with the 4wd.
            I am guessing by Kois answer that it may indeed have more than one purpose.
            Mine was left off after I blanked the EGR and I found that I lost my brake booster, it was like braking with the negine off. i.e no pedal travel and no brakes
            Simon.O.
            '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Originally posted by simono
              I am guessing by Kois answer that it may indeed have more than one purpose.
              Mine was left off after I blanked the EGR and I found that I lost my brake booster, it was like braking with the negine off. i.e no pedal travel and no brakes
              strange it seems to effect things in different ways. After changing my head I forgot to reconnect it and only found out off roading. Selected 4wd and nothing had a quick look under the bonnet and found the pipe off, reconnected and 4wd selected no problem. It didn't effect my brakes, turbo or anything else just the 4wd.
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

That pipe indeed does serve a number of purposes. It depends where it is left off, I think the T pieces have one way valves in them so that you can lose vacuum to one thing and not another. There is a pipe that comes up to the t piece from the ear of the alternator which is where the vacuum pump is.

Cheers

Comment

Yeah I seen that pipe from the back of the alternator - wondered what that was. What I really need at the moment is a Surf expert in Northern Ireland so I can pass my troubles onto someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by RMS_CLK
                    Yeah I seen that pipe from the back of the alternator - wondered what that was. What I really need at the moment is a Surf expert in Northern Ireland so I can pass my troubles onto someone else.
                    You pay the airfare and I am on my way.....just off to pack my bag and toolkit
                    Simon.O.
                    '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Working...
                    X