Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke on power

Hi
    My new 2.4 efi puts out quite a bit of thin smoke at high revs or when going uphill, it seems more than for a normal diesel, but is mostly noticeable at night in following cars headlights, so I'm not sure of the colour.
    The guy I bought it off said that the company that did the head job last summer had fun and games setting up the EFI timing, could this be a case of overfuelling? (its doing 23mpg on a run)
    All other indications good, oil pressure good, idling clear.
    Am I worrying about nothing?

I would say you a worrying unneccessarily. They all do this to a certain extent.

A couple of things that will help a little would be new injectors and maybe disconnect the EGR or get a new one, it may be stuck a little bit open.

23mpg on a run is about right - ish, some people get up to 26 however most are around that level.

Overfuelling is what is causing it however it's probably just a little dribble from an injector. You may want to run some redex through it however I wouldn't worry about it myself.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks Andy, wot is EGR though???

Comment

Do a search for EGR on here and you will find loads of stuff about it, however in short, EGR is Exhaust Gas Recirculation and is an Emission Control device that is not actually required really at the moment in the UK as the Emissions it reduces (Nitrogen Oxides) aren't tested for. EGR can actually stick open and cause bad running and excess smoke and a reduction in power and economy. Removing it if it is faulty can actually improve the emissions that are tested (Carbon Dioxide and Heavy Carbon particulates).

Hope that this helps.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks, might give that a try.

Comment

Working...
          X