Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air intake leak?

Hi all,

I was looking at my engine and noticed what seemed to be blackish water leaking from the air intake assembly where it joins the head on the entrance to the the cylinder nearest to the front of the car, 2.4 turbo diesel surf 91 model. Is this a big problem? can it be fixed easily?

Cheers

Originally posted by tonymz
    Hi all,

I was looking at my engine and noticed what seemed to be blackish water leaking from the air intake assembly where it joins the head on the entrance to the the cylinder nearest to the front of the car, 2.4 turbo diesel surf 91 model. Is this a big problem? can it be fixed easily?

Cheers
    would have thought oil, may be a little condense so its looks runny
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Are you sure it is leaking from the intake manifold and not from the head, as the joints are close together. The Intake manifold is water heated but it is done separately from the head/engine cooling so It shouldn't leak out of the joint to the head (there are no waterways there) unless the manifold was seriously cracked. There are also no waterways coming out on that side of the head. Could either be a small weap from the head gasket or fuel leaking from the join (I doubt it).

It may not be a big issue but I would get the cooling system pressure tested (get a leak down test down - pressurise the system to max working pressure - 0.9 bar and see if the pressure slowly reduces) if so you have a leak somewhere, head crack, head gasket, bad hose joint etc. From this you can further diagnose problems by doing a combustion pressure test - start the engine and see if the pressure goes through the roof (Head or head gasket problem).

A lot of Surfs leak a little bit of oil at that front corner of the head and it is no big deal - leave well alone unless there are other problems.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks Lucky, I will try to have it checked on the next service... as it seems to be running well so far...

Comment

Working...
        X