Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Window and other

Hi All,

1st post so be gentle, okay have a 2.4 TD Surf on a J-plate.

Have been running this for just over a year now, have started to have some niggly problems the biggest being that the rear window is now refusing to operate (have periodically greased the runners) horrible whine and refusal to budge my guess is the motor is shot. Planning to strip the rear window and gubbings at the weekend, anybody done this before and advice of things to avoid and things to ensure that I get right. Rumour has it that Corolla Electric window motors are the same and I can probably get one from a scrappy.
    Pictures would be good, as generally I get by on the mechanic gig (normally spend time on the bikes than on my car which is probably why the damn thing is stuck). Other issues bulb blown to illuminate automatic selector, Speedo no longer reading above 40 MPH any ideas on the speedo issue gratefully received. Cheers Eggy

Originally posted by Eggy
    Hi All,

1st post so be gentle, okay have a 2.4 TD Surf on a J-plate.

Have been running this for just over a year now, have started to have some niggly problems the biggest being that the rear window is now refusing to operate (have periodically greased the runners) horrible whine and refusal to budge my guess is the motor is shot. Planning to strip the rear window and gubbings at the weekend, anybody done this before and advice of things to avoid and things to ensure that I get right. Rumour has it that Corolla Electric window motors are the same and I can probably get one from a scrappy.
    Pictures would be good, as generally I get by on the mechanic gig (normally spend time on the bikes than on my car which is probably why the damn thing is stuck). Other issues bulb blown to illuminate automatic selector, Speedo no longer reading above 40 MPH any ideas on the speedo issue gratefully received. Cheers Eggy
    Welcome to the forum.
    The rear window motor is indeed shared with a few other Toyota models, you will have to make sure to get one from the correct side of the car as they are handed. This has been discussed a few times on the forum before, according to this thread you require a front passinger one from a carina, supra, or corolla, not sure which years tho.
    Try using the search feature on the toolbar above, it should help you find more details on how to strip it down etc.

As for the speedo, not sure, no doubt some of the others will be along to offer some sugestions...
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

On the speedo front - is it electronic - will have a stop pin at the start of the arc if it is.

Cheers

Comment

Try this...

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/rear_door.htm

Welcome to the forum. It's among the best on the net, specially for UK/Irish owners.

I've done some work on bikes too, but somehow, something 2 tonnes in weight that carries my family as well as me was a bit more daunting to work on. But thanks to this forum, I've been able to tackle some job that without the advice, I might not have attempted.

Try the search function - it'll get you to pretty much any info you need - if it's going wrong with your Surf, there's a very good chance it's gone wrong with someone else's on here.

Good luck

Mark
        Last edited by silvtr1000; 26 January 2005, 17:36.
        :

Comment

I've just bought a motor from these chaps below at a cost of £50+vat. if you needed the whole lot it would be £90+vat. Not bad really for a warrentied part when millners are doing the motor on its own for £126+vat. also there is a brand new one on ebay. at the minute it £72+delivery.
          hope this helps!!!

http://www.japanese4x4spares.co.uk/toy-hilux-surf.html
          http://www.4x4breakers.com/
          http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
          Mr. Fish
          Very annoyed about some little S**t Keying my Surf.

Comment

Hey All,

Thanks for the help on this specially the web sites very much appreciated. Tried the search function as well lots of info.

Looks like this is a good community to be part of, have a very nice day and be good...

Eggy

Comment

I too am having probs with the rear window/door.....not sure if my prob is covered on the above service advice??

Prob 1. Dash indicates that rear door not closed. Have checked normal causes, eg stuff caught in the tailgate etc. no joy.

Prob 2. Rear window goes down but not up. Warning "beep" sounds when I turn key or use dash window control. This is an seems to be an intemittent problem...but getting worse Last night could not get window up to secure car!!!

Any ideas? Would the suggested service help? and are the problems related??

Ohh...I love my surf, it has just taken me,my family and dog team from London to Aviemore......but I am not a mechanic....far from it. So if it is a job for someone with anything more than basic knowledge, could you let me know.

THANX

Richard

Comment

Have a look at the "shwmesome.info" link - there are pictures there.

I'm no mechanic either, but I think I'd attempt the rear window motor service job. Codlord's advice and pictures are quite clear.

I'm finding it surprising and encouraging at how reasonably straighforward the jobs I've tackled on my Surf actually are, once I actually do them.

You could try giving the window a helping hand (literally!) when raising it with the key at the tailgate. I have to do that now and again...

Mark
                :

Comment

Originally posted by Sibeaddict
                  I too am having probs with the rear window/door.....not sure if my prob is covered on the above service advice??

Prob 1. Dash indicates that rear door not closed. Have checked normal causes, eg stuff caught in the tailgate etc. no joy.

Prob 2. Rear window goes down but not up. Warning "beep" sounds when I turn key or use dash window control. This is an seems to be an intemittent problem...but getting worse Last night could not get window up to secure car!!!
                  The two are related. You can't close the window if the tailgate isn't (or the car thinks it isn't) shut properly. It looks like whatever senses the tailgate is shut isn't sensing correctly. Not sure what to look for though.
                  Paul </Slugsie>
                  Immortal.so far!

Comment

Thanx, I thought that was possible, so that begs the inevitable question....can anyone tell me where the sensor is??

Comment

got problems with back window 2

my back window will go down ok but wont go up all the way without help. it get 3/4 then stops. i had the problem when i 1st got the car(2.4td). i greased the running gear in the tailgate but that didn't seem to do anythin so i cleaned out the rubber track where the window sits when closed. that seemed to cure it. sorry if i babble on

Comment

Okay removed the motor and it looks in a shabby state, tried to get one from a couple of scrappies but they could not help, for a laugh popped into local Toyota dealers £149-00 plus VAT... lets just say I will be using the links above to source one..

Cheers

Eggmeister

Comment

as a temp measure, your passenger window motors should be the same. swap the rear passenger window motor for the tailgate one.
                          [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Good call Stara,
                            Was on the brink of doing just that when I got lucky with a scrapper, cleaned it fitted and hey presto the rear window is back in service.
                            Thanks for all the advice very much appreciated...

Comment

From what I can remember its on the door lock mechanism. My warning light goes out as soon as the door is locked, either me getting out and doing it or winding the window up.
                              The motor replacement looks horrendous, but is really quite easy. I've done mine. Pulling the window up in public carparks is really uncool ! ! !
                              I've got some piccies somewhere, I'll try and dig them out.

Derek

Comment

Working...
                              X