Cannot turn ignition key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot turn ignition key

After I stopped today with my 1991 Surf 2.4 TD SSR-X auto, I can't turn the ignition key.
    The transmission is in Park and the steeringwheel is not locked. I've even tried pushing the red button on the transmission and shifting thro all the gears and back to Park, no go. Pressing the brake pedal does nothing.
    Can anybody help?? surely I'm not the first one with this problem.
    cheers
    Paul

The switch that hangs on to your key is solenoid operated. Check your fuses and see if one has blown. The following link may be useful.

http://www.afm15.dial.pipex.com/surfpictures/Techy.htm
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

thanks I'll look at them again, tho they looked ok. I'll have a look at those wiring diagrams. Hope I didn't dismantle the gear selecter handle and switched for nothing. May take a few photos while it is dismantled. Perhaps it may be of use to someone.
      I wondered if I pushed it into park while it was still moving and it went into some lockout mode
      cheers
      Paul

Comment

I've checked the fuses... all ok. Perhaps the turbo timer did some thing at the ignition switch end of things??
        [COLOR=darkslateblue]Paul - NZ[/COLOR]

Comment

Is your key still stuck in the ignition after two days? Around here it would have dissappeared along with the Surf!

Do you hear the solenoid under the gear shift operate when you depress the brake pedal? Can you take the key out with the battery disconnected?

I have just re-read your original post and I have been mis-interpreting the problem. You can't turn the key. I know you can't start the vehicle with it in gear. It should start in park or neutral. There is a microswitch under the centre console that is operated by the gearshift and activates a solenoid to unlock the ignition switch. If your fuses are OK you might have a wire off or a defective switch.
          Apologies if my attempts at helping have been misleading.
          Last edited by kitesurf_phil; 28 January 2005, 00:40.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
            I have just re-read your original post and I have been mis-interpreting the problem. You can't turn the key. I know you can't start the vehicle with it in gear. It should start in park or neutral. There is a microswitch under the centre console that is operated by the gearshift and activates a solenoid to unlock the ignition switch. If your fuses are OK you might have a wire off or a defective switch.
            Apologies if my attempts at helping have been misleading.
            Hi Phil, thanks for the suggestions. No the key is not stuck in the ignition. I have the key. The problem is I can't turn the key to start te truck. I looked at all the solenoids and switches at the transmission lever. Took some photos too that may help someone one day. All the switches measure OK with a multimeter. I can't find anything wrong at that end. I haven't had the time to check the ignition switch end of things. Perhaps a wire is off or the turbotimer that wired in there is playing up. I seems to vaguely remember that the turbo timer did not run when I switched the engine off, but I'm not too sure on that. I'm wondering too if the Surf was still moving when I put it into park, switched off end took the key out and that it may be in some "safety" mode or something. Pretty annoying.
            cheers
            Paul

Comment

Dont know if this will help in your case but have had a couple of cars do this before , especially Fords . To cure it , or just get the lock to turn , remove the steering colum shroud and remove the switch from the back of the ign lock . There should be the pin that turns the switch sticking down . Put the key in ign and at the same time push the pin upwards whilst turning the key . The key may now turn .

I have done this before and it has released the barrel enough to let the key turn . If it works I would suggest a new key and barrel . Due to wear the barrel and key get misalined and it all locks up . Never had it on a Toyota , but maybe this is the first .

Hope this helps .

Rick
              Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Definately sounds more like a mechanical problem more than electrical, I don't know of any type of electrical interlock that will stop the key actually turning in the lock more like as stated before that it's the lock (or the key).
                Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

I had it once on a SAAB 9000. Couple of squirts of WD40 into the key slot did the trick.

Cheers

Kev

Comment

Thanx, I'll try all of above. Couldn't have happened at a worst time as I need the truck and need to get my house on the market at the end of this week and therefor need the time to do other jobs. "It never rains but it pours."

Comment

turned out to be the ignition switch barrel that got stuck. A bit of fine earosol oil and a bit of tapping the barrel with the handle of a srewdriver freed it.
                      thanks for all the help.
                      Paul - NZ

Comment

Originally posted by SurferNZ
                        turned out to be the ignition switch barrel that got stuck. A bit of fine earosol oil and a bit of tapping the barrel with the handle of a srewdriver freed it.
                        thanks for all the help.
                        Paul - NZ
                        HAMMER!!!
                        Thats what hammers were made for.
                        I have a selection from small to ****ing big and use them frequently, particularly on the starter motor.
                        Good to hear that you got it sorted.
                        Simon.O.
                        '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Originally posted by simono
                          HAMMER!!!
                          Thats what hammers were made for.
                          I have a selection from small to ****ing big and use them frequently, particularly on the starter motor.
                          Good to hear that you got it sorted.
                          Swiss Army knife and a hammer, only tools you will ever need

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                            Swiss Army knife and a hammer, only tools you will ever need
                            Don't forget the Size 8 Boot occassionaly
                            Gaz

Comment

This has happened on mine before. I get angry with it and turn the strreting wheel from side to side and it releases. Brute force every time.

Comment

Working...
                              X