buying my first surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying my first surf

hi,I have just registered as a new member because i'm just looking to buy my first surf but wondered if you could steer me in the right direction.I seem to be going for the 3.0lt because i wont it in automatic i would appreciate any thoughts you may have,many thanks Rick.

hi rickj ,first of all welcome to the mad house that is the forum,if you have any percific questions try the search option theres endless information there,also i can only talk for myself when i say that i have been pleased as punch with my 3.0ltr ssrx its a 95 2nd gen, it has been faultless since i have owned it .there tends to be less problems with the heads going on the 3,0ltr,and the fuel usage is no better or worst than the 2,4ltr ,parts are easily available from many sorces,and theres always someone on here selling something ,manual gearboxs are available but a little harder to find ,so just find a truck you want to own ,buy it grin and enjoy

Comment

Hi
      You say you are going for 3.0 as you want auto???? the majority of 2.4's are auto as well, having said that the 3.0 is a better engine all round so if you can afford the 3.0 then you are best to go with it. Should you end up looking at a 2.4 it is best to make sure it has had the head replaced as they do have a tendency to crack giving you a fairly hefty repair bill.
      Good luck with finding one.
      Ed
      If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
      I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

2.4 or 3.0

Originally posted by Smurf
        Hi
        You say you are going for 3.0 as you want auto???? the majority of 2.4's are auto as well, having said that the 3.0 is a better engine all round so if you can afford the 3.0 then you are best to go with it. Should you end up looking at a 2.4 it is best to make sure it has had the head replaced as they do have a tendency to crack giving you a fairly hefty repair bill.
        Good luck with finding one.
        Ed
        I am researching the best option too. I notice from various posts that the 3.0 engine is more robust than the 2.4; however there are some good value 2.4's out there. If I find a 2.4 that has had the head and gasket repaired, would this have resolved out the obvious weak spot, or would it have the tendancy to exhibit the same fault again after roughly the same mileage?

Comment

Originally posted by trev
          I am researching the best option too. I notice from various posts that the 3.0 engine is more robust than the 2.4; however there are some good value 2.4's out there. If I find a 2.4 that has had the head and gasket repaired, would this have resolved out the obvious weak spot, or would it have the tendancy to exhibit the same fault again after roughly the same mileage?

Once the head has been replaced it should be good for the life of the truck.As the new heads are redesigned they no longer have the weak spot, so we are told!
          I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Originally posted by jotto
            Once the head has been replaced it should be good for the life of the truck.As the new heads are redesigned they no longer have the weak spot, so we are told!
            Thanks for that. It makes a big difference.....

Comment

Working...
            X