Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4TD vs 2.8D

G'day, fellow Surfers

I have to choose between Surf with 2LT and 4Runner with 3L engine. Both trucks are same old, have similar mileages and same extra equipment. Both are of same colour, so wife can't help in decision making Wink

I'm in Canada and can't find around here anybody who knows diesel Toyotas - could you tell me how those two compare? Which engine should I go with?

Thanks for help!

Cheers,
    K.

Go for the 3.0 as there are some issues with the 2.4.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

but the title says 2.4TD or 2.8D
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

4runner with 3L engine ??????
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
          but the title says 2.4TD or 2.8D
          The engine code of "3L" actually refers to the 2.8 non-turbo diesel
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Choosing between:

Hilux Surf with 2.4 turbo diesel, eng code 2LT
            and
            4Runner with 2.8 self aspirated diesel, eng code 3L.

I wish I could have surf with 3.0TD, but to legally import RHD to Canada it must be 15yrs or older. Would have to wait 3 more years for 130KZN

I have to drive some 400 miles to see both trucks, so I want to have some ideas before I go there. Now I have '95 4Runner with 3.0 V6, it's great but has some serious drinking problem

Thanks for all help,
            K.

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
              The engine code of "3L" actually refers to the 2.8 non-turbo diesel
              ahem, now i know... marky said this thats all "Go for the 3.0 as there are some issues with the 2.4."
              confused? you should be
              any help for him though? I dont know what the 2.8s are like but I expect they last a lifetime
              Tim
              Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Visit the Aussie site -

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/index.php

I personally do not know much about the 3L 2.8 but I believe you can bolt on the 2.4 turbo.

Neville

Comment

I did ask the same at aussie forum. Here is what they say:

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewt...?p=30498#30498

I think I'll go for non-turbo 2.8(3L) - it has one major component less to fail. This is just my initial preference. When I see and drive both trucks I may change my mind.

Thank You all for your help.
                  K.

Comment

Go for the 2.8, good engine no real problems, and then you can bolt on the 2.4 Turbo and get a damn fine engine.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                      Go for the 2.8, good engine no real problems, and then you can bolt on the 2.4 Turbo and get a damn fine engine.

Cheers
                      Yup, I'd also go with the 3L then turbocharge it. More displacement, fewer head issues. You might have a hard time locating a reasonably priced diesel CT-20 turbocharger here in Canada that isn't toasted. However, other popular options you might find more easily and cheaply are a 1CT turbo from a diesel camry or a garret T25 from something like a pontiac sunbird. You might find some additional helpful info at www.toyotadieselmadness.com which has a number of Canadian & American members.

Comment

Working...
                      X