Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheating

Ok, here is a strange one.

Bought my 2.4 hi lux, six months ago, and have had constant temp problems. I have put in a new thermostat and cleaned the radiator (twice), but it stills seems to spew all the water out of the sytem via the expansion bottle. This does not happen all the time, but is preceded by the heating going on the blink. I now carry water all the time, and drive with the heating on full, to the annoyance of the wife and kids. Doesn't seem to be the head, yet, anyone have any ideas what to do.

Phil (London)

Hi Phil
    I would say the only way is to get the system preasure tested.
    At least you will know one way or the other.
    Cheers Chris
    GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

Do a search makes for depressing reading. loads of posts.

First, new rad cap and stat.

Sit down

Then the head if it was as bad as mine throw in a block aswell.

Mine followed all the syptoms posted on here just was a bit unlucky as block was blown away around the top of 2 of the bores.

Hope to be surfing again end next week.

Steve
      Should have bought a 3ltr

Comment

Could be an airlock? Have you drained/refilled, heater on hot, warmed up and cap on?

Comment

although you do not have to wear a hat to do this, although a cap will make you look smart whilst carrying out vehicle maintenance................... .......i always park up hill when topping up the coolant, it seems to work, it does help if you live near a hill, or indeed live in a house on a hill, the steeper the hill the better really imho.
          [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Ok

Thanks for that, the only thing I havn't done is run to temp with the cap off, will try it. If that doesn't work I have no hills round here so I will run the front end onto the mother-in-law, that should create the necessary slope!

Comment

Originally posted by phil211971
              Thanks for that, the only thing I havn't done is run to temp with the cap off, will try it. If that doesn't work I have no hills round here so I will run the front end onto the mother-in-law, that should create the necessary slope!
              Make sure the heater blower is on hot as well. Might be best to drain/flush/refill then the above. If not pressure test as mentioned. Hope it helps!

Comment

thanks for all the help.

Ran the engine with the cap off till reached temperature. Seemed to be lots of bubbling over, then settled down. topped up coolant whilst engine running, and replaced cap. seems to be running fine. Hope problem sorted.

Comment

Working...
                X